Unsafe setup?

I’m left handed.

I’m not saying a swivel is totally essential but may provide some benefit just like the swivel on the other end (snap) where it attached to the saddle.
You just gotta try it. Maybe it'll be amazing for you, maybe not. I've been trying to remember where I incorporated a swivel into some ropework, but it's been eluding me. It didn't have anything to do with climbing or trees, and I wasn't happy with the result. I thought it would make it easier to deal with, but it ended up being harder, with the free end being less predictable in location. That's probably somewhat affected my judgment regarding swivels, as well as them being harder to inspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kinda like John’s experience. I bought the swivel when using the hitch climber pulley setup to help untwist the rope. Then Burnham directed me to several threads on the topic about how it made it worse. My experience followed suit. I would not put a swivel on my bridge again. Some people like them though. 🤷‍♂️

@Maximalist here is the picture for you.
My steelcore flipline with a 4/2 VT (I thought I had a distal...I was mistaken, shows how much I use it)

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_171519.jpg
    IMG_20221229_171519.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 24
I ended up with the swivel between the adjuster and biner. I like it so far. I can tend it in my arms optimal pulling alignment and it hangs down when not needed.

It makes it a similar set up to the ART 2 positioner with swivel.

i know people who might not live without a cinched climbing rope „exit“ out of the tree. but i agree it can be annoying.

I sometimes undo my cinched lifeline to move up the stem and then reattach it during a cut. If I run into a bald face hornets next, I’m screwed though. But, for the most part, it’s in place.

I’ve done the dual lanyard system before and hooked up the lifeline at each cut.

Yes, I use a twisted clevis. A wire gate biner as a wrench gives the slight extra I need to hand- tighten or loosen. Very little force on wire gate... no worries.

Back