Ultra vs whoopie sling

I definetly don't rig 3k pieces. Idk maybe i've done it once or twice in my career but I can't remember the last time, and btw also probably never while climbing, just from the bucket.

3k all day long with the crane!! :lol:

Biggest brush pick with wood attached I think is 10k, not to derail.

If I had to rig a 3k piece, I'm sure I woulda priced the job too high to get it so therefore I don't rig 3k:dude:

I'm big on ultras as well. Almost all of the rigging points in my kit are an ultra. If I remember correctly they maintain 100% of the cordage strength in a choked configuration. I am also big on keeping the rope as the weak point in the system so we size up for the lowering device an terminal rigging point. IE 1/2 rope gets 5/8 slings, 5/8 gets 3/4, etc.

Otherwise there are a few deadeye's in the mix. All of the lowering devices have them and I keep a few long ones for blocks when we get into big diameter negative rigging or redirects on big trees. Also have a few smaller single rings on a deadeye for in tree redirects. Infinitely adjustable without being mid line attachable.

I've used alot of whoopies and loopies in the past and they never seem much faster than a dead eye with a cow hitch or round turn. That, and they gom up pretty bad with sap in the pines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn’t sure where to post this query…I’m wanting to make up a couple of “loop” ring rigs, but I’m unsure of how to terminate the ends. I’ve studied pics but can’t figure out how they do it. Thoughts?

826B7F4A-5FFD-4F6B-9E04-DAA498A50EA1.jpeg

Not exactly in answer to your question but I spliced up one of these a few years ago.

Ultraslings weren’t even on my radar back then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I reached out to Nick. He said it’s just a locked Brummell with an end-to-end bury to finish it off. The pic above hides it. It’s visible in this pic if you look closely.

C1E490AE-F372-41FE-AF6F-C3E0C7CCFA2E.jpeg

I like the ultra slings for the quickness of them but despise how much cordage they eat up making them. I think I used 13’ of 5/8” to make a five foot long ultra. All those Brummells eat it up

I made them for blocks. The 5/8 is plenty strong for 16” diameter as long as you take a reasonable size piece. I use 3/4 once I get around 2’ diameter. Closer to 4’ I double the rigging or more commonly find a way to drop pieces

Back