Rigging.... Nylon Loopies vs Rope Knots

HeathyOaks

Treehouser
I've been old fashioned for a long time, but see a lot of people rigging now with nylon loopies. Call me old fashioned, but I've always been a rope and knot guy. Numerous people have told me how much more efficient they are. How many of you rig and re-direct using the nylon loopies instead of knot and rope?

Multiple limbs faster with loop runners lowered both on the ground and in the tree. Yes you have a biner on the end for the bottom limb in the chain.
Zip line, a biner on the end of the line does not transport any limbs down the line to the landing. You set the line, then attach each limb, loop runner and biner to that line anchored or tensioned from ground. Then cut. Weeeeeeee there they go.
Just lowering one limb. No loop runner

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Multiple limbs faster with loop runners lowered both on the ground and in the tree. Yes you have a biner on the end for the bottom limb in the chain.
Zip line, a biner on the end of the line does not transport any lims down the line to the landing. You set the line, then attach each limb, loop runner and biner to that line anchored or tensioned from ground. Then cut. Weeeeeeee there they go.
Just lowering one limb. No loop runner

Pretty much what your saying is use the loop runners if your speed lining and just use a snap biner if your lowering something on a pulley?

Pulley or Natural crotch. Yes. Just a biner on the end. I use 50kn steel screw locks for that kind of lowering rigging. Also, the steel biner makes it easy to advance the lowering line higher in natural crotch as needed.
Now again, lowering multiple limbs on like a conifer; biner on the end of the rope holding the lowest limb, limbs above with loop runners and each with a biner clipped onto the lowering line in sequence of cutting. Hold line till all are cut starting with the lowest limb letting the others slide to it as cut. Or lowest limb last after it catches the upper limbs on the rope. Just make sure you cinch the lowering line crab and the loop runners about a foot or so out, like you would a zip line set up, to keep the gear away from the cut. Also keep in mind, the more you send, the longer it takes to get the rope back.

August taught me a trick that I used the other day, self-lowering a half a dozen larger doug-fir limbs, in a batch, solo. You can half-hitch (making sure the falling branch tip will tighten the line) all but the lowest limb which have a running bowline, biner choke, clove and double half-hitch, etc.. Just rope (and biner if you like) plus the friction of your choice.

Back