Tri stemmed norway maple cable ?

flushcut

TreeHouser
So what is the easiest way to tension a tri stem for cabling using a center hub? Not a massive tree but tall 90'er maybe 16" each stem at the ground and the stump is about 4 foot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steel. Probably 4-6 foot legs. Maybe six inches of take up or draw.

Can you use a ratchet strap to suck the stems in, install the cable, the remove the ratchet strap? Surely 50' of 16" stem will have considerable give.

Yeah. I have used a Mass hot damn and two blocks and tensioned the stems circular fashion before it works but just seeing what else folks are using. Maybe there is a better way?

I try to go above the cable and usually a quick 3:1 will get it. If they're big you might want to reduce friction and and more mechanical advantage. Been a while since I've done steel, that's one nice thing with synthetic, we rarely ever pretension any more

The custy want's to keep the trees and they really need the support of steel as opposed to dynamic. Norway maple, bark included, forest habitat trees.

Menage A Trios! Bueno!

I like it. Are you saying use the third set for the tension?

Tension into ring already shared by the two... we did quite a few multi stem rings in the P... Redwoods, Cypress and an Oak...

More recent info in cabling is saying to cable in the lower third as opposed to the upper 2/3.... the idea is to strengthen the crotch/union and let the leads live their lives...

Reactions: DMc
Fear not in ten years it will be back up in the upper 2/3's lol.
I was going to put the cable lower just to keep it in some meat as one of the stems looses mass after a crotch union around 40' up.

I didn't remeber that detail... doubt it.

Honestly cabling should always be static... dynamic loading and unloading that's upper canopy stuff and is supposed to happen... the breeze strengthens the trees... thigomorphogenesis... makes sense to support major crotches... and then huge suspect inclusions... bolt'em.

Just my opinion but, this industry shot itself in the foot by promoting dynamic strangulating synthetic cabling.

Absolutely criminally idiotic move.

Jomo

Well that's probably why they suggest inspecting the cables and systems every so often. But we know how that goes, peoperties pass hands and such.

Back