Tree Identification

T Collins

Aloha Arborist
20200912_181800.jpg 20200912_163819.jpg 20200912_113100.jpg

It's the tree on the right. The branches were thick and strong at the top. The bark was flakey like phyllo dough. I couldn't get anymore traction on this thing than a harelip on a Hawaiian word. I had to stomp my gaffs in and yes they are sharp. The wood ran watery sap 1/3 of the growth rings in.

Shaky ID here...hard to tell from those pics. A true cedar, cedrus deodora. Haven’t spurred one.

hard to judge the scale of the bark by saw chips as reference. Try a hand, coin, or the like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where is the tree id thread?

Mick is most likely the winner here! Mick have you ever climbed one of these? My lanyard got no traction. At one point I put a full wrap on the 2nd end of my dbl end lanyard. The layers of flakey bark were like what we call Madrona here. The Madrona tree however is an Evergreen deciduous tree from the myrtle family. Mind you that round's bark has been scuffed clean of most of its flakeyness by my lanyard. Thanks again guys.
Mick is the tree as hard as our loblolly pine, short or long leaf pine?

Climbed loads, no issues, only thing I’d say is wear gloves as the thin flaky bark can jam itself rather painfully under your fingernails.

This bugger was like baklava sans honey. 1/4" thick of flakes that were slicker than a gold toothed politicians smile.

Does the sap run like water out of the cut ends from the outer 1/3 growth rings?

Where is the tree id thread?

Mick is most likely the winner here! Mick have you ever climbed one of these? My lanyard got no traction. At one point I put a full wrap on the 2nd end of my dbl end lanyard. The layers of flakey bark were like what we call Madrona here. The Madrona tree however is an Evergreen deciduous tree from the myrtle family. Mind you that round's bark has been scuffed clean of most of its flakeyness by my lanyard. Thanks again guys.
Mick is the tree as hard as our loblolly pine, short or long leaf pine?
About 3 threads below yours in the tree care forum The Tree ID Thread - https://www.masterblasterhome.com/threads/the-tree-id-thread.19994/

Yeah that's it. Mine felt like a rubber band up top kinda reminds me of strength characteristics of some trees in the tropics.

Over here they tend to be tall spindly things. Some wobblier than others when you get the top out of them.

Edit: I bumped my GoPro on a branch that day hence a lot of the cutting is off camera. At least you got plenty of good looks at the bark.

How big do they get over there?

Last edited:
Spindly maybe 70' for this particular tree. I was growing right next to a noble fir. That I also removed. The noble fir was noticeably lighter.

Toots Hibbert just passed away. Looks like someone finally called his "number"😜 54-46

Back