Tips and trick for pole saws

I have gotten the manual one jammed. Luckily I got it out. It’s scary because I’m using the pole saw because I can’t get over to the branch. How would I retrieve the saw? Second pole saw I suppose?!
Throwline and rip the branch out maybe. One option if it's suitably setup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ryan, I film a lot too. It’s good to watch to critique yourself or if something didn’t go the way you thought it should, you can watch to learn why.

Don’t be silent! I think you should start asking at least a few stupid questions a week like me.

Dev, you know all the cool spots :rockhard:

Didn't see it at Buck's either but regardless, shipping would be the bugaboo I spect

Ryan, I film a lot too. It’s good to watch to critique yourself or if something didn’t go the way you thought it should, you can watch to learn why.
I always think of the uncle from Napoleon Dynamite, filming himself throwing the football.😁

In praise of pole saws, a Yardworks production proved imperative in pruning a previously topped piece of.... Box Elder. I quoted her $100, she hacked me down to $60 and then handed me a $50. She had me back the following spring to quote removing the rest of the tree and another beside it. I said $500 she hacked me down to $250 and then all of a sudden it was $200. I told her it was too dangerous and to hire a bucket truck/tree service which she did and probably paid more than $200.

I don't mind a bit of haggling on price or a minor add on (can you take down that shrub in the corner) but some people have no shame. Her name was Mercy but she didn't show me any.

I'm not positive but I feel there was a language barrier that may have become more prominent when money was discussed. 🤔 I had answered an ad in the classifieds basically looking for a cheap treeguy, and got some good jobs within a community of extremely friendly but frugal new Canadians. I was worried I burnt a bridge when I stiff armed Mercy but there were no sour grapes and they continue to call me as needed. I've learned a bit about estimates as well.

So, you're saying they were Chinese? :^D

I haven't had personal experience, but it's my understanding they're ruthless at trying to get a bargain.

I was working near a bus depot once, and we'd go there for lunch. One day an ethnic Turk(?) was ordering from KFC, and trying to bargain down the price. He'd get rejected, do the fake turn, then come back with a counter offer. Girl behind the counter wasn't budging of course. It was hilarious to watch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most eastern cultures buy and sell virtually everything by negotiating. Every transaction is done through haggling. It’s a foreign concept over here in most areas of life. Although there’s exceptions. Car buying seems to be a quintessential haggling task.

I got the Indian food restaurant to deliver 5 miles outside of their delivery radius by offering a $10 to the driver and $5 to the house. I would have given the driver $5-$7 anyway. They certainly delivered.

Contrasting the American owned pizzeria where I was 1 mile beyond their delivery radius, no reasonable amount of money could change the rules. Just different culture.

The Chinese and Indian Americans can push to get a lower price when I show up to do their plumbing. I don’t budge except for a coupon which I would have done anyway. It took me a long time to not be so agreeable. I almost say in my mind “I dare you to not accept my scope of work and price!”

Back