Timber Framing

I finished the bench Monday. It's really been a game changer over the sawhorses. I pretty much don't need to clamp most timbers, unless they are small/light. Saving time and aggravation. You can see two pegs sticking up on the righthand top. These are stops to keep the timber from sliding very far when chiseling. They are on both ends. Most tools are easily kept on the bench.

20240805_134954.jpg

I'm looking for ideas for a small spec timber frame. I need to order a couple more 27' logs from my logger, and I want to fill out the load with some smaller timbers. I have a couple ideas, but not sure what might be appealing. What would you want in your backyard?

1-12'x14' Picnic Pavillion. Four posts with a hipped roof. Enough room for a picnic table and a grill. A hipped roof would be new for me. Curved/forked/natural bracing.

2-10'x12' Two bent shed.

3-12'x16' Three bent garden shed.

4-Three-sided Woodshed, size variable.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "bent". Normally I wouldn't have much use for a pavilion, but I was just contemplating what I'd like if you were to give me one of those constructions. I think I might like a pavilion with a hole in the center of the roof to remove smoke from the central open fire. A shed would be more practical, but I don't have a ton of use for a shed either.

Something like this could be interesting to get rid of smaller pieces of wood...

A bent is a cross section of the building. In a simple shed, it would be two posts and a tie beam. In this photo, the bent is from the ladder to the taller front post. There are two braces, and a horizontal girt to support siding. 20210926_181042.jpg

A bent is a cross section of the building. In a simple shed, it would be two posts and a tie beam.
I meant to get back to this. Your post was timely. I got a call Friday for a request to stake piles on my new trail job, and the super referred to the pile sections as "bents". Since you told me, I knew what he was talking about. What are the odds? I hear something for the first time in my life, and it gets referenced a day later :^)

Back