Timber frame raising gear.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I'm looking for a good source for slings and come alongs for raising timber frames. Lift-all tuflex slings, and lighter duty cable come alongs are what I'm after. American made come alongs are desired. Thanks.

Lug-All come-a-longs are the best I’ve seen. I have found them on Marketplace and Craigslist.
One of the widows I am helping sell her late husband’s shop has one that I believe is a 2 ton. I’ll be down there in Maryland next week so I’ll check as to what she’ll take for it.
Of course shipping isn’t cheap, but the head ‘might’ fit in a large Priority Mail box to keep the cost down.

What kind of weights are you dealing with? Would a maasdam with prusik backup work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a lot of weight at all for the come alongs. It's mostly for making adjustments.

A maasdam isn't the most durable kit, but it's pretty well made, US manufacture, and $75. You could add mechanical advantage to it to make every click very precise for fine control. I'd definitely add a prusik for any overhead lifting. They work well and are reliable, but not bulletproof.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The come alongs are to hold beams while additional parts are being rigged into place. You can use 2Xs to support beams, but that leaves screw holes. I'll probably buy some cheap ones off of Amazon, as they are not in a critical lift situation.
Bensonwood had two Super Duties that just carried slings and come alongs, but their framing style was a bit bogus. 20240823_123445.jpg

Attachments

• 20240823_123445.jpg
    20240823_123445.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back