The Tree ID Thread

Type of evergreen Magnolia? Maybe Magnolia virginiana . Sweetbay, Swamp or Laurel are common names. OR, M. grandiflora, stunted a little by competition.

Last edited:
I like Magnolia virginiana as an ID. This is the right area for it, and the my pic matches pretty close to what I'm seeing online. The bark has an almost blistery texture. My tree's a little lighter in color than the pics I'm seeing, but I imagine that can be somewhat variable. The leaves look right on for ID.

Anyone know what this is?

IMG_20230605_140331605_HDR.jpg

I feel like I should know it, but I'm drawing a blank. Note the flaky bark. The bald patch is from having trees pushed across it, and the foreground leaves are from the tree in question.

You rock Mellow! I guess that isn't something I'd have known. That was nowhere in my knowledge base, but the bark seemed very familiar. Maybe I've seen it before, but didn't give it any special attention.

But not all of them! I can only ID as chestnut, and no further. I've never had specific species pointed out to me. The couple guides I read today were unclear. Based on one site's pics, it was American or Euro. Based on other pics, it was undetermined. A typed description said furry under the leaves. The one I got today I wouldn't call furry, but it could be interpreted as that if the alternative were exceptionally smooth.

Yea, it would be cool, but statistics says it isn't. I wish I had an example of each so I could compare them. I haven't *really* settled down and looked yet, but some of the stuff online has been indeterminate, or contradictory. Might be more obvious with the trees right in front of me, and being able to touch them. Or maybe a defining characteristic like Norway maple's latexy sap.

Anyone know what tree this may be? It was intentionally planted and it’s in Maryland, dwelling in a typical backyard- not too wet, not too dry. One specimen is in decline and the other is fine. Both have swollen trunk flares. May be typical for the species?

Attachments

• IMG_6289.jpeg
    IMG_6289.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6290.jpeg
    IMG_6290.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6288.jpeg
    IMG_6288.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6287.jpeg
    IMG_6287.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
I believe you’re correct. I’ve only ever seen one living ash and that was a behemoth. It received injections. I only know what they look like dead!! That’s crazy. I thought “can’t be ash, it has leaves”.

Last edited:
This one is interesting. My friend bought a botanist’s home. This specimen caught my eye. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_6308.jpeg
    IMG_6308.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6310.jpeg
    IMG_6310.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6309.jpeg
    IMG_6309.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
Anyone know what tree this may be? It was intentionally planted and it’s in Maryland, dwelling in a typical backyard- not too wet, not too dry. One specimen is in decline and the other is fine. Both have swollen trunk flares. May be typical for the species?
Picea shyii

I can't see the flare, that other tree is in the way.

I have cut a handful of them now, yard trees. The crack quickly when laying out in the dry heat. Some were dug out with heavy equipment and are all cracked like I hear ash does. I wonder if any good for handles or?

Chinaberry?

edit:
Europeans use ash for tool handles. Probably cause they don't have hickory :^D It's ok, but hickory is much better. If I were buying, I'd pay twice as much for a hickory handle over ash.

Back