The best logging trick I've learned here. Thank you, Chris!

Aright! Well even inbred folk CAN learn if only we will. Thanks a ton Stig and Chris.

This is perhaps rendered impractical for West Coast log cutters who might be getting four to seven saw logs out of a single tree. But for us arbs...;) thanks gents.

I don't see why loggers bucking multiple logs out of 1 tree can't use it, there is a little trim factor on each log. Plus, as mentioned above, probably a slimmer wedge (something a bit wider than the kerf) than pictured would give better function and also take less out of the adjacent log.

Agreed. Bucking here in the PNW, you still have to allow over length just like anywhere else loggers log, no problem to take a little wedge off.

The other method I use with top bind is to cut across the top and then drop down the front and bore in underneath and come up from the bottom.

And some guys like yourself and Gerry have probably forgotten more than most people claim to know.

Some of the tips and tricks I pick up here, I am truly grateful for.

One of the best I use on a daily basis, I think Butch posted it a long time back, is keeping your chainsaw round files in McDonalds straws. Simple but oh so effective.

I use colored straws. I get used to usually finding the large round file in the one color straw, and the other smaller round file in the other color straw.

It's one thing to stick a saw. Hell I've stuck two before and had to fetch a third to cut out the other two .Duh!

If you run a saw long enough you will at sometime do one or all of the following.Stick a saw,oil the gas tank,cut the dirt ,put on a chain backwards .

...I love the trick in Gerry's vid , using a close limber sapling bent over and tied to the saw. Done right it pulls the saw out of harms way as you prompt the stem. F'n works !!! Saves the saw.

That's Good!

If you are trying to pull a saw out from a sticky situation while someone else cuts it free, you can deploy the starter cord, and get an extra 2' back, or use the starter cord to tie it to a sapling.

If you run a saw long enough you will at sometime do one or all of the following.Stick a saw,oil the gas tank,cut the dirt ,put on a chain backwards .

Ha! All of those, plus hold a power head against your groin area and rev the saw for cheap thrills.

Or is that just me?

Here's the thing about this trick. It's not superior to a wedge or another method. It's simply another way to manipulate wood you are cutting. This truck allows for no hand tools or wedge handy. Two cuts a tap of the bar against the newly cut wedge, and you've made it so the kerf won't close on your bar. It doesn't really spit out under heavy pressure. Friction and compression of wood fiber seem to keep it good and tight. Though I'm sure it could spit out under the right conditions.

It's just another trick to have in ones mind to make work easier. Critics often see all the potential flaws in old time tricks like this but the catch is that it costs nothing to know and requires no gear. How can you go wrong for knowing something for free?

Back