Tennis Elbow

That's why I forced myself to wear an arm sling as much as possible. I'd put it on after work and wouldn't take it off until bedtime.

But what really allowed it to finally heal up was buying a bucket truck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what really allowed it to finally heal up was buying a bucket truck.

Actually, I place the blame for this affliction on me operating my buddy's High Ranger more than usual. I try to rig the stuff out as much as possible, but a lotta times it's just better to cut and toss. And THAT'S what's setting it off, all that right hand action holding on to the saw. Sure, I scabbard it whenever possible, but in reality I find I spend a lotta time just hanging on to it.

Next week, I won't be working for him at all. It's gonna be regular climbing. I can use the break...

Yeah, climbing uses much more your whole body, the bucket uses your right arm heavily.

Well, I just flexed my forearm and busted the plastic thingy in the Nike forearm strap, crikey. I fixed it with a shoestring.

Lordy, ten bucks. :what:

I was able to contact my friend, and he described the exercise he uses:

Sitting at the table with your elbow in a unmoving position, grasp a light weight in your hand (one-two lbs.), and flex your arm slowly up and down, to about a ninety degree bend. Do this with both your hand facing down, and also facing up, holding the weight, alternating reps. Do it as many times as still feels comfortable, without straining, building up reps over time. Don't go heavy on the weight. Support your elbow on a towel or something, if your elbow directly on the table is uncomfortable, but keep your elbow from moving around.

The important thing is to start doing the exercises only after the pain has gone away. The muscles supporting the tendon will get stronger, and help prevent the injury repeating. It's not an overnight thing, you should keep working at it. That's his advice, and apparently it worked for him.

I also read on the web where exercise to strengthen is recommended.

Hope it may help.

Gary is right, RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. That's for when inflammation is acute and swelling is adding to the tissue damage. Once the inflammation is down somewhat, you add heat to the cycle and lose the compression. Cold reduces the effects of swelling and inflammation, heat promotes blood circulation, lymph uptake and healing.

The inflammation has to be under control before healing will take place. 800mg of ibuprofen is a strong anti-inflammatory, get a 1000 count bottle... assuming it doesn't screw with your stomach. If it does, try Naproxyn instead, same dose.

Glucosamine worked for my elbows and wrists but it took about a month before I noticed any lasting change.

It really does get down to rest though, You've got to rest until you can at least pull a trigger, then you need to adapt your work habits to stress the ligaments and tendons less... one handing needs to be off the menu for a while... develop your left arm some more.

I agree with the NSAID advice....spot on.

RE: glucosamine...get glucosamine sulfate...there is more than one type out there. The sulfate is supposed to be more easily assimilated due to its molecule size.

MB, a clarification from my friend on those exercises to strengthen your arm. Don't lift your whole arm like I earlier posted. Hang your wrist off the end of the table, and flex it up and down, both with your palm up, and down, holding the weight. You want the rest of your arm to remain flat and unmoving on the table.

Flexing your wrist like that will strengthen the supporting muscles all the way to the elbow tendon. Apparently, raising your whole arm is ill advised.

I've stopped using my mouse with my right hand. It's kinda tricky with the left.

go fishing for two weeks.......it will heal itself.

MB, Mine really flared up from also using big saws and then at night I would pull my arms under me. Wake up later totally numb...it seem to make over-use of my tendons worse...

go fishing for two weeks.......it will heal itself.

Ummm.... actually NO. Tennis Elbow is the most common term for medial epicondylitis but it is also known in other sporting circles as flyrod arm/elbow. Gripping while flexing. Whatever the activity, that can play hob with the tendon.

Back