Tag axle/ Log arch design/ build

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
I'm interested to build either a log arch or maybe just a tag axle for moving logs with my mini-loader.

Can you all share ideas on how you have/ what you would include?

I would basically scale up a Logrite junior arch or whatever its called. This seems like a lot more fabrication than a straight axle with two wheels. If I have a straight axle, how you you suggest I build a bunk for a larger log to ride strapped on on top. I'm thinking a 135 degree "v", might work. I'm guessing a bit of a forward V and a Rearward V, sorta like a Arbor Trolley.

I've been surprised what I could pick up and manipulate by lifting the small end of the log, and moving onto a fulcrum, or lifting and positioning a fulcrum, beneath the log's center of gravity, or toward the big end of the log. I think I could start hauling more logs with the incorporation of a dump trailer (which my miller neighbor has).

I welded golfcart front axle and would just place the small end on The axle shaft and strap it. I never took it further as the need to get 16 foot logs wasn't needed any more.

I bought a dodge caravan rear axle at the junkyard for 40 bucks with wheels. I narrowed it up a bit and added a 4 foot piece of I beam laid it on its side 90 degrees to the axle, and welded it together. I used a two inch ratchet strap to hold the log on it and wheeled about 600 bucks worth of walnut logs out of a backyard with my mini skid that I otherwise would have had to cut into pieces.

I just bought one of these to strap to the end of a log for dragging. It is awesome. There is a trolley wheel that pins in near the handle if you want. I was going to grab the Stein version at TCIA, but Nick didn't have one to sell right there. It ends up Randy got it. This Logrite is very well built, but not cheap at $550 plus the oversized tires. They have a real nice log arch as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416745214.095556.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416745235.372494.jpg

About a month ago I was in a Princess Auto (Canada) store and purchased something remarkably similar to the Logrite trolley for under $400 (Canadian). It does function ok, but after taking a good look at Logrite's trolley at Expo, it appears that the unethical Princess copied Logrite, and cut a few corners on the materials and fabrication. The Logrite version looks a helluva lot more substantial and better built.

Mine is actually two little wheels side by side. I honestly don't see using it that much with them, but they are large enough to not be a bother. If it's mud season on the other hand.....

That's what I am worried about. Forty this mourning, thawed ground, and now we have five inches on the ground for insulation and they are predicting high 40's a week from now.

I may hate mud more than anything.

Spent a winter in So. IN on Transmission and had deep mud mostly the whole time. Trudging through all the no-til fields for access was a nightmare.

Give me frozen ground anytime!

I agree. 15 *F and sunny is great. Lawns are almost like parking lots. Unless that nasty white stuff is to deep.

If the snow gets to deep we blow/plow off the work area first a day or two in advance, helps freeze the ground and makes for easier clean up. The rake for the BMG works well for this.

You can move ridiculous sizes of wood with them. If i were you Rajan i would build a massive one that you could use with your mini, be able to move huge trunk wood with far less cuts. A hand powered one and an arbor trolley is all i use as of yet since i lack iron, but i actually do ok with them. The one i have fits through a gate, but will move 500 pound pieces with ease with 1 guy, and with 2 guys you are approaching what a mini can move. Here's mine after i built it, you simply lift up on the handle, set the tongs, and when you pull down it lifts it up. Takes longer to explain than to do. You make the end closest to you slightly light so it won't dig in, and you're off to the truck. Also handy for walking the trunks back for hung up trees.

84112.jpg

guess 30" gate - 3" - 3" does it take 24" max logs? I just recently hot rodded a wheeler. split the axle. put square tube axle, slip stubs/tires in pinned to location for either 30" overall width or 36" overall width. I used it behind a lawn tractor, crossing some sidehill so I extended the downslope axle only. Added few side retention stubs. Major back saver from back of a big yard, uphill. 30" width intended for use with small tractor through small gates. Also still works manually to pick up heavy pieces, andean then go manual or hook to tractor. Not meant for long logs, only short pieces. Can strap on bundles sort of like Reg's arbor trolley too.

edit - wth is an andean and why does big brother mess with my typing???!!

Last edited:
Roughly around there. Anything much bigger and you are gonna need to pull a bunch more than i can :lol: Bigger stuff gets diced up so i can move rounds with the arbor trolley. Occasionally i have to noodle.

You can move ridiculous sizes of wood with them. If i were you Rajan i would build a massive one that you could use with your mini, be able to move huge trunk wood with far less cuts. A hand powered one and an arbor trolley is all i use as of yet since i lack iron, but i actually do ok with them. The one i have fits through a gate, but will move 500 pound pieces with ease with 1 guy, and with 2 guys you are approaching what a mini can move. Here's mine after i built it, you simply lift up on the handle, set the tongs, and when you pull down it lifts it up. Takes longer to explain than to do. You make the end closest to you slightly light so it won't dig in, and you're off to the truck. Also handy for walking the trunks back for hung up trees.
That is my plan. Simple axel golf cart tires. PIck up one with the mini set buggy under about a third way in from the end and grapple the other end and "skid" out long logs or just big diameter.

Back