Stump removal tools-- besides the grinder

I like that jack idea. How did you use it?

Very carefully.

There's a few ways, you can use the top to push a tree or stump over or dig under and lift it out. They work well if you dig around a big root, cut it off and put the hook under. Once you get a good hold they'll lift anything. I've added an extention to the handle some times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve, I like that, and its cheap and multifunction. How much do you need to move the lever to get the ratchet to advance, as a angle, 90 degrees, 10 degrees? looks like you would might need to make clearance for the the handle unless it will advance like a ratchet and socket in small increments.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-48-Farmer-Jack/dp/B002GQDX2I
actually says its for stumps.

Is it something at you can attach at the top of the post and put a sling on the hook and use it horizontally, for things like levering a spar over to pull the roots?

What's a good brand available in US, fellas?

Those things might work but nothing like the old ones really, they are pretty heavy. Doesn't take much to get them started, just watch your fingers then just keep going till you or the stump gives up.

Stick the pointy bit at the top into the tree at about a 45 degree angle and start, it'll push it over.

They come up on ebay pretty cheap here sometimes, but I think the postage would be a killer.

attachment.php

I like that pointy bit up top. An important feature. Quick look at ebay doesn't have that set-up. I'll have to look more.

I can't imagine wanting to dig out stumps if you don't even like grinding them. Get a small portable like the Alpine if you want to do small ones

Masochism left over from trail crew days, Willie.

I try to get them to pay for a flush cut and bury them with mulch or soil, as possible.

I have to get a battery isolator and second battery, maybe a second alternator for my chip truck winch, then I'll have some pulling power, 12K.

The three guys in town with big grinders have removal services/ arborist services (at least two of three seem to be cheaper bidders with rough crews). I don't want to lose customers by subbing to them. Occasionally, they are inaccessible stumps where an Alpine Magnum will work. We have a lot of glacial outwash here, so rocks. I think it will kill an AM or your have to dig around the stumps anyway. I think AM are actually made here, actually.

My grinder is old and 25 HP. I still haven't fixed it/ gotten it fixed. Making plans to hire a friend to fix it, and thinking of trying to sell and putting money into a Wraptor. Maybe I"ll reconsider selling it. Dunno. There doesn't seem to be a way to make money at stumps unless you have a big machine or an inaccessible stump around here, where they homeowner really wants it gone. The next small stump is against a sidewalk. Occasionally its one large rhododendron stump (so a small stump) or the like, while doing a bunch of tree work. I already carry some basic excavation hand tools, and could throw in a hi-lift jack or whatnot, in addition to a few more hand tools and the sawsall.

I have been wondering how big/ small of an air compressor you need to do light air excavation. Could it be trailerable and 110v? I'd like to test the waters/ market with a shop built air tool before buying an air spade and having to rent a high power tow behind compressor. Rentals are so frequently a PITA. Rental grinders are always dull and 25 HP vermeer 252's or worse.

And employees are involved in digging.

Have you seen a root ripper type of attachment instead of a bucket? Its sorta like an ax shape/ maul shape, but instead of 3" tall, its like 10". I saw one once, seems like a huge improvement over a bucket.

Not sure if Eric is on here.
This is a brand new machine, effectively he is just running it into the ground repeatedly.
There was another vid where there is sound and it’s painful to hear.
His machine, his choice, but there’s no way I’d subject mine to this.

Back