Stihl MS192T oiler woes

treesmith

Banned
Well, one of my 192s has quit oiling. I noticed a while back that it never took much oil to fill it up, but now, even after running the fuel tank dry, it still won't take but a shot of oil. So....as I understand it, the 192 oiler can't be turned up like a 200T, so...what's the first place to look? Flush the reservoir? Just replace the oiler? I took the bar off the other day and cleaned it good to make sure the oil hole wasn't just stopped up. Ran it a couple of minutes with the bar off, and after a bit, a little oil started coming out, but not much. I've had to replace the little plastic oiler drive gear on Huskys before, but I've never faced oiler woes with a Stihl before. Suggestions? :?

Gently blow back to the tank after you flush it can sometimes clear the line and/or filter as well.... Gently mind you. Empty tank :D
You have to look really closely into the tank opening while you do this. You will be able to see if the line is blocked or not.

Some oilers have a breather hole that needs to be cleaned out, usually near the oil outlet or by the bar studs. Probably just some earlier models. Compressed air and cleaning with kerosene as suggested, should tell you if it is the pump. Sometimes the hose on the oiler can get displaced or leak.

I'm not exactly certain how those pumps are driven .I'd imagine they could possibley be a gear driven from the clutch drum like a Husqvarna 335 .If so the gears are often the problem and shouldn't be real costly .

If I have an IPL for that thing I'll take a peek later on .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gently blow back to the tank after you flush it can sometimes clear the line and/or filter as well.... Gently mind you. Empty tank :D

Where exactly do you blow into the tank....through the outlet where the oil enters the bar, or do you mean blow into the line at the pump? And would a blowgun work okay if one were very careful?

I will often even use canned air with the little straw and it works ok. Just little spurts of air... If I use my compressor, never wide open on the trigger.

This may help.. This may not... Best I got at the moment.. Never played with a 019, 191 or 192T.... Shop Manuel is too big, so I'll see if I can grab the two or so pages separate

Attachments

• 191IPL.pdf
    680.5 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Stephen. I don't know why in the world Stihl won't just throw the parts schematic in the back of the manuals...they could even shave off half the useless junk in there and still save paper!

Got it going...not sure who's to blame, as I got the saw two years ago off eBay, but I've never seen so much junk in an oil reservoir. (I will be giving my groundie a lesson in brushing off the saw prior to adding fluids!) I went ahead and pulled the oil pump to check it, and blew both lines out. Put it all back together and within seconds, oil was coming out the port. Thanks, guys!

Next item on the agenda...while fiddling with it, I discovered the muffler is coming apart. I haven't noticed the noise, because I'm used to the 200's screaming, I guess. Anyway, it has a hole in the bottom and is scorching the plastic something awful. I looked on eBay, but no 192 mufflers at present. Anybody got a 192 muffler gathering dust?

Oh they get fussy about IPL's and tech manuals for some reason .It's just typical German hardheaded bull chit .You gotta about go underground to get them .Some of us managed to scrounge them up by various means .

It's actually coming apart, Al. The whole front of the muffler has detached from the back part, so that even with the bolts snug, the muffler still wobbles around. Even brazing the hole up wouldn't cure it.

Back