Starter rebuild?

No_Bivy

Treehouser
I just replaced the starter on my DT466 4400. When I first got the truck it would randomly miss sometimes.....progressively got worse. I ordered a new one and its about three times the size. Im not sure which one is gear reduced or not.

anywho, there was no core charge on the new on since they have changed models, but my question is do you think its worth it to rebuild the old one for a back up. The new sarter was 337.00.

The gear on the bendix had some wear..hard to tell from pics. It also looks like there is a little wear on the flywheel, but it doesnt seem to affect the new starter. It sounds very different starting now.

It sounds like maybe the starter drive or "bendix" is at fault .That being the case just replace it and that starter should be good to go . If the brushes are worn it might not be a bad idea to replace them also .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
any idea on the range of cost to repair it? I already put a new one on so this one will be sitting on the shelf as back up......

where to I look for parts, I have never rebuilt one

A large starter is no different than an automobile starter except the parts are more robust in a manner of speaking .

At one time on say a Ford stater which are or were notorious for knocking out the drives you could install a new drive and brushes for about 20 bucks .Here of late though the drives cost as much as a rebuilt starter so it made it a moot point to rebuild one .

The last large starter I did was for a 424 cubic inch John Deere 70 gasser .The drive alone was nearly 50 bucks and that was several years ago .

A majority of drives use a one way type of clutches which are in essence just a set of rollers which allow for engagement in one direction and free wheeling in an overhauling load such as when the engine starts .This is where the problem lies which causes no or limited engagement .

In a rare instance they can be disassembled and reworked but this is normally on something which is a rare part .I've done the same but it' a momumental pain in the rear end .

Take some brake clean and hose it down, then get some contact cleaner and spray down the armature and feilds when you change out the bendix. Look in the phone book for shops that repair deisel equipment. Make a couple of calls. They may not have the parts but a few calls and I bet you run into someone that knows where to get them. You may even run into a shop that will rebuild it for a couple hundred.
Yeah, I'd bet it's around $100 for that bendix.

That sounds pretty reasonable for a diesel engine starter. I would feel better taking it to a rebuilder.

Almost a lost trade rebuilding starters. Sure its not cheaper to get another re-built unit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
already got a new one.......... just wondering if its worth it to repair as a back up. Doesn't sound like it.

Every little town at one time had a motor winding shop that dealt in automotive electricals but that day has passed .

You can still buy the parts but certain ones such as the Fergusen tractors are getting nearly impossible to find and in fact a rebuilt one will set you back nearly 200 bucks .One shop in Canada does them,none in the US that I know of .

Knowing this I have one I rebuilt and ready to go plus enough parts to rebuild two more if needed .

On that diesel starter ,it's new enough parts shouldn't be a problem .

I have two good electrical rebuild shops that I know locally. In my experience a quality rebuild from your local shop will last much longer than a rebuilt purchased from a auto parts store.

I once had a part time job rebuilding alternators and starters, working into the wee hours of the night. Easy, once you get the hang of it...where to direct the hammer blows. 8) Good rebuilds are the way to go, for sure.

Back