Stahl's logging supplies

It just depends on the hardness of the steel you cut vs the hardness of your saw chain and the chain speed, feed rate, and sharpening angles. I was testing a saw and saw a knot in the dryish white oak I was cutting, and sure enough felt some chatter. It was a harder knot than usual, but not outside of what I'd expect possible when sawing wood. Then I noticed it seemed to be cutting slower after the "knot".

DSC04588 (1280x939).jpg

I have bumped the side of a trailer with a saw and it took nice chips out of the steel without dulling the chain.

I was glad they were a $17 loop not a $32 loop of Stihl chain.

The job was $1300 and took 75 minutes, I didn't price the chains in, but there was enough margin in the job to handle it. 😂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was glad they were a $17 loop not a $32 loop of Stihl chain.

The job was $1300 and took 75 minutes, I didn't price the chains in, but there was enough margin in the job to handle it. 😂
So I assume you are liking the X-Cut chain from Stahls? The longer I use it, the more impressed I am with it. I may never buy Stihl 33RSF chain ever again!

Recently I was shopping for saw chain again. I usually but Stihl chain in 100' loops but since I am no longer doing treework full time I can't justify the prices they are asking. And even by the roll it's practically as expensive as buying by the loop at the local saw shop.

I truly dislike Oregon chain because it is too soft and stretches too quickly. Many say they have different chains but they all look alike to me and their coding system is gibberish to me. I recently treated myself to a new Husqvarna 395xp and it came with Husqvarna X-Cut chain on it. I have run it for a few jobs and sharpened it a couple times and really like it so far. So I began shopping and found it for $375 per roll at Stahl's. That's over $100 cheaper than Bailey's, and Stahl's has free shipping for orders over $300.

So anyway, if you need saw chain or other Oregon or Husqvarna supplies, check out Stahl's. Website was easy to navigate and I got the box in 4 days. Welcome to Stahl's Sawmill & Logging Supplies - - https://stahlssupplies.com/
I went to Baileys on some 100 foot rolls of Stihl chain a couple of months ago, $600+/- a roll. But then I check Madsens and it was $365 or so. And they will make up loops for you at a couple of dollars per loop.

I'll have to try the Stahl sometime too.

Back