SquareUp

Mrs.B

Treehouser
It's finally time for Jer and I to get with the program and start accepting credit cards. I've been researching using a card reader on my IPad. It appears simple and straight forward. I know some of you are using card readers on your phones, so I'd like to get some feedback. Anybody using card readers on an IPad?

Terri,

Do you need the mobility of being able to process cards away from home? I don't know the advantages or lack of when using a phone or IPad over having a credit card terminal, I think that they are called.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our primary need is exactly that, Jay, we need it for out of town use. The last couple times we went to TCIA Expo I noticed we lost some sales by not having the capability to take credit cards. Since I work in a bank I am well aware of the significant cost of a terminal and all the fees and it's more than we want to commit to. From what I've researched on SquareUp it appears to be affordable and easy. I have yet to see exactly how it works and still have questions, but I think we will give it a try. I've been asking around and the feedback has all been positive. If anyone has had issues with SquareUp or problems with purchases I'd sure like to hear about it.

my wife runs her own acupuncture biz. she found the iphone swapper was cheaper in the long run due to lower per transaction fees vs a traditional card scanner.

Also requires gps to be turned on. Just get it and try it a time or two. Doesn't cost to get it set up.

It actually tracks your location when you swipe a card. Dispute resolution stuff

Just got set up. EASY.

People that refer new people get $1000 in processing for a Thanks (no such thing as free).

Although I am not in a pinch, this is of interest and i've considered the idea, like maybe to carry more print canvases on trips to sell. But evidently I would need a signal, which means it may be useless in a park?

Does the app only work with signal, or can it work enough to get a signature stored in the phone and send off the transaction once into a signal zone?

Also, one guy's review on Youtube was good, but then he edited the end of Square Up to a "Fail" pointing out that some places like Europe got rid of strips and went to just chips. He was forecasting the USA going to chips only in the next 10 yrs..

Presently, my new Visa has a chip in it and places like Home Depot, etc., run both options at the checkout. Seems that gas stations are all using the strip part wherever I get fuel lately. But this got me wondering whether the Square reader will be short lived.

Anybody using readers on their phones that have chip readers too?

You have to swipe your foot through the card reader really fast before it will work correctly.

He needs to have chip installed in his foot first for the service to work.

Big News!

BIG NEWS: Square set to IPO by the end of the week.

I'm in. My broker is waiting for it to price, then we can place the order. I have not bought stock since Face Book had it's IPO so I am excited! Some believe it is risky, but they said that about Face Book. One of the co founder's of Square is also a co founder of Twitter.
Mind you, I don't use Twitter, Face Book or Square just want to reap the benefits of owning the stock.

Whoo Hoo

Back