Split tail help

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I've been climbing on 13mm True Blue, using a Blake's hitch made from the same material. I thought that I'd order up some eye-to-eye tails to use with the True Blue, since I have a lot of it. I'm thinking to try the VT or Distel hitch, get with the approval I'm reading here on those knots. The place I'm ordering from, offers Bee-Line in 8 or 10mm, Tenex in 10mm, or ice in 8mm.

I doubt that many of you guys are using the True Blue, but any suggestions as to which split tail line would be a good choice to go with it?

Thanks for the help.

Jay

8mm Bee Line should bite quite nicely. Ice is ok, but it does pick. Had you considered Ultra-Tech in 3/8"?

Nick just spliced me up some 8 and 10mm beeline. I am really liking the 10mm, first time I used it. True blue is pretty soft (has a lot of friction) so you may not need a hard bite

Jay, consider ordering from Nick. :) Sorry, I dont do enough climbing to have a valuable opinion on the rope selection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good idea, Paul. I've been reading Nick's comments on hitch cords. A large order is going in to Sherrill, mostly for some buds. Just thought I'd combine the split tails for myself, mostly a trial thing.

I'll contact Nick to see what he has available. :)

the few things I have bought from Nick were well finished and priced reasonably. The shipping to Nippon might be tough to absorb though, but I cant comment on that in an educated tone.

Nick just spliced me up some 8 and 10mm beeline. I am really liking the 10mm, first time I used it. True blue is pretty soft (has a lot of friction) so you may not need a hard bite

Been using 1/2 true blue with 10mm. HRC, Bail Out and the Bee Line I had Nick make up all work well with it .... As Willie pointed out, true blue is pretty soft and I don't think I would like a smaller line that 10 mm as my hitch cord on it in a VT anyway... 10mm has worked well as a VT, Prussic and Klemheist for me anyway :)
Nick really does a nice job too BTW 8)

One thing about Nick is that you're not buying what someone has in stock, you're getting something made exactly how you want it.

I've dealt with him many times, and he's always treated me right.

Oh...sorry...I had to go let all the air out. ;)

I concur with the 10mm beeline with True Blue. I've never climbed on True Blue, but I've used it as rigging line in the past. It's beefy stuff.

The other advantage- for someone switching over from 1/2" friction hitches, the 8mm will just feel SUPER weird. It's about 1/2 the diameter of what you're used to. I think the 10mm will be a bit more comfortable in your hands.

Shipping via the usps flat rate international large envelope to japan is about $12. If a couple guys wanna get a couple small things, $12 can be split up by you guys very easily.

If you're already putting together a large Sherrill order, it might not make much sense to order a couple things from me... but when your guys are ready to put together a larger custom order, you know where to find me!

love
nick, who was born in Japan!

A 10mm cord will be easier to work with than an 8mm cord. The smaller diameter tends to be more grabby and gets hot a lot quicker than a comparable 10mm cord. As far as the ultra tech, it uses a poly outer braid and that's what you're climbing on. The expensive, heat resistant inner core isn't doing you any good whatsoever. Double braid poly such as Sta-Set will perform exactly like ultra tech for one fourth the price.

i thought the rope rule was 2 mm smaller - so if you are using a 13 mm - then your split tail should be no small them 11 mm - BUT i can be wrong. I like beeline - ICE flattens out .

just my 2 cents

wwb
dont forget to get yourself set up with a tender pulley
i use the diestel and sometimes the swabish
im cheap so i run a micro pulley on the biner that holds my bee line
i just put it between the 2 legs of the hitch cordand clip in thru a leg the pulley and the other leg,
i dont have to undo a silly cord that way
i use the smaller bee line, and am gonna try the larger of the 2
i like true blue, but some of the newer equip doesnt work as well on it
have fun with your new toys and techniques

No opinion, never used true blue but icetail is worth having around for when your rope gets covered with pitch. You can use it while the pitch dries and comes out. Beeline or HRC on a pitch covered rope is hell.

im cheap so i run a micro pulley on the biner that holds my bee line
i just put it between the 2 legs of the hitch cordand clip in thru a leg the pulley and the other leg,
i dont have to undo a silly cord that way

Same here.

I agree with the 10mm assessment. Anything smaller will probably be to grippy for you. The 10mm beeline is nice, but I prefer just buying some bulk 3/8" Tenex and using that. It's cheap to replace and because I tie knots instead of splicing I can always adjust the length of the cord. It will be important for you to figure out what length of cord is best for you, and a spliced cord will not allow you to do that. Then you can order yourself some sweet spliced goods from Nick if you so wish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really helpful replies, thanks very much. Good thought on the pulley, ttg, one went in on the order. Think I'll order the 10mm Bee-Line. I'm curious about the ice, but as was suggested, I'm used to the fatter rope, and the ice only comes in 8mm, apparently.

Lots of people are starting to climb trees over here, kind of a new thing that is taking off....and that even includes a few tree workers!
I only know of one full time climber who is working. I understand that he trained in the states. It's very difficult for aspiring people to get information about it.

Could be some event happening next year, there is talk about it. I'll post about it if it becomes definite. It just might be a good chance for some folks to come over.

The treehouse sure helps me out quite a bit. :)

10mm Bee Line is awesome!! Right now I'm trying out HRC, which works nicely, but when I was climbing off a pulley it seemed to bite a bit more than usual.

8mm BL is nice also, though on 1/2" lines like True Blue I also found it bites more.

What was i thinking?!

Definitely try Tenex first, it perfect for 1/2" line and slides and grabs like a dream. It's only weaknesses are picking and rapid wear from heat.

Tenex with a Blakes is a sweet ride on 1/2" rope.

Although I hate agreeing with what's his name up there.

Back