Spelling and punctuation are a good thing! :)

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
If you require assistance with either have a look at the following post, its makes the world a happier place when we are clear and concise. :)

Spell check for internet explorer: http://www.iespell.com/

Firefox comes with an automatic spell checker built in

lose.png

weird.png

their.png

your.png

its.png

definitely.png

effect.png

weather.png

alot.png

then.png

Punctuation help: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The oatmeal ROCKS!
and Google chrome has an auto spell checker. Strangely, it highlights 'google' as wrongly spelt.

My Android (Google based) phone does the same thing, it's just searching to capitalize the word but I found it funny.

My English 101 teacher always threatened to give you an F on a essay if it had the non word alot in it.

Our English teachers just caned us till we got it right.

I don't use spell check, it keeps me on my toes not to. Besides I have to spell some things differently here like tires/tyres or color/colour or I might get into trouble.:evil4:

Our English teachers just caned us till we got it right.

I don't use spell check, it keeps me on my toes not to. Besides I have to spell some things differently here like tires/tyres or color/colour or I might get into trouble.:evil4:

We were the same, get caned at school..........then get home.......and get caned again.

my computer is alittle jacked up right now, so I can't get the spell check to work. My computer post will continue to have some words slautered till I get my computer fixed.
Just know that "hukt on fonix werkt 4 me." :LOL:

Aren't we forgetting 'who' and 'whom'? I still can't get that one right and I've read the Oatmeal poster.

My favorite Brit misspelling is 'grey'.

I wish that someone would explain to me WHEN it was that the American English rule to double a consonant when a word is being changed occurred. Last word in previous sentence: 'occur' becomes 'occurred' when the tense changes. And yet, 'inter' is now often considered incorrect if spelled 'interred' (but the TreeHouse spellcheck says it's right). 'Travel' to 'travelling' is currently wrong in American English, was right when I was in school, and is right in Britspeak. I'm often confused by this - and I get Britspeak pretty well. Damnaff rule!

Less on spelling but more about translation, I recall a sketch from Jasper Carrott (Brit stand up comedian) of his visit to Oz.

While on the plane he picked up a glossy Australian mag and saw a full page ad with a racing car covered in the "Durex" logos. Splitting his sides with laughter, pointed out to other passengers "ha ha, can you imagine driving around with that plastered on your car"

When he got to Oz, it was then he discovered Durex was a well known type of sticky tape. In the UK it is a very different product.

Tree Reb, is Durex sticky tape still available over there, or in fact was it ever? Perhaps Jasper was even having one over on us?

Thanks, Paul, that's really great. "Please, Sir, can I have some more?" If there is more to what you started this thread with I'd really like to see it, or have the link or whatever. I like the way it gets the message across. Sticks easier in the mind.

Hey thanks, Brian.

I struggle at the most simple things in spelling and grammar. Failed miserably in both subjects. It's a paradox that I even write today. Can sure use all the help I can get.

thanks again

I used to have a Durex faceplate on my office light switch with the little man symbol and the switch sticking out of his crotch, it was very cool.

Back