simple reliable ascender system for srt

sierratree

TreeHouser
Thoughts on a simple, reliable, ascender system for SRT. Gots to be rugged.

Burnam has a pic of a really good system I use, frog walker with a CMI dual handled ascender. I have some slight variation on mine, but it is pretty much the same set up.

I use a hand ascender and a foot ascender for most SRT ascent. I have a Croll chest ascnder and a bit of bungee that makes a knee ascender for a rope walker if its a really long ascent (all of which works on DDRT as well)

For a great reference with detailed info on all types of SRT ascent (texas, frog, rope rocket, rope walker, RADS, and more) read this great PDF put out by the Victorian Tree Industry over in Australia

http://vtio.org.au/Content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Single-Rope-Technique-i.pdf

Ropewalker- foot ascender, floating ascender, elastic cord around neck for keeping Rope Wrench/ Hitch Hiker and hitch upward. Simple and easy. Like a ladder, but with two hands free to grab the rope or nagivate limbs, push away when moving over crotches.

Ropewalker- foot ascender, floating ascender, elastic cord around neck for keeping Rope Wrench/ Hitch Hiker and hitch upward. Simple and easy. Like a ladder, but with two hands free to grab the rope or nagivate limbs, push away when moving over crotches.

WSP, where and how do you attach your floating ascender in you system?

Check out this thread, with pictures. I think it's a pretty good system, though a plain jane Texas inchworm is compact and easy to learn, just not quite so efficient. Holler if you want to explore further discussions.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?9950-B-s-version-of-Sherrill-s-Tree-Frog

YUP that's the one I was referring to. Mine is just less the chest ascender. My foot/ankle loop/strap on the two handled CMI ascender is a tad different only in that it is from On Rope.

I use this foot strap I made to attach my croll/knee ascender

IMG_20120924_101517.jpg
IMG_20120924_101449.jpg
IMG_20120924_101430.jpg
IMG_20120924_101415.jpg

As far as where to attach the bungee that can get clipped to the lanyard, the ring on your bridge or anything else that will pull it up high enough.

If you didnt check it, that VTIO document has tons of pictures and even rates the systems based on gear, efficiency, speed, setup time and all sorts of stuff

Nick, I'm fully aware of where it "can" be attached, was asking for his specific solution :).

That is a good resource, have had it on my hard drive for a couple of years, maybe.

:thumbup:

Just be sure as hell that your hitch is certain to grab under any scenario...you only have one above COB attachment to your lifeline, which is always a bit sketchy from a SRT purist's perspective. Worth consideration.

Or maybe you have a Croll or similar in your system, too. If so, carry on :).

From a SRT purist's perspective it is both the same (or at least similar) and sketchy. Tree climbers tend to ignore this. My initial SRT training and experiences came from vertical rope techs and cavers...they think a lot of what we do is sketchy :).

I only point it out to emphasize how critical that hitch function is...there is no life line attachment redundancy in your ropewalker system. In most vert. rope fields this is unacceptable, as you are likely aware.

That's true, but I must say tree climbers frequently try to reinvent the wheel or ignore basics that have long been proven prudent, by not resourcing these other fields.

WSP, where and how do you attach your floating ascender in you system?
That is my screen name for "work".

Foot loop/ tether to floating ascender with elastic cord to my harness.

Over the shoulder lanyard keeps my hitch up. I use a distel and rw or hh prototype.

Nice...... I cheated

f01%20left%20or%20right.jpg

http://onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=431&parent=89

I took the tiny screw links out and replaced them with teensy carabiners so it's quicker and less fumbly to connect. Do you just leave yours connected?

Back