Short bar, large power head

Y'all need to pack them upsidedown then Fiona! The US postal service only delivers right side up. :|: :|:
You just don't get it...you know those arrows on the box that have 'this way up', the saw is made the right way for down here, then packed properly for y'all, the USPS just has to look at the pictogram turn the box the right way...no instructions needed, and bam, delivered correctly, geeze get with the program!

I read those stickers and looked up every time, but noticed nothing worth mentioning...

Just wait until you get a customer that reads the text on the bar and try to put it on as it reas with mount front and sprocket by saw.
"This can't be right bar for my saw".
Then you must calmly explain without laughter or snotty comments why, how and not do anything to hurt a very shaky ego.

In 1977 an old working chum named Jim Furgusson sold me an old relic Homelite for $35.

It run, and it had a 60 in bar with half inch round chain, a 2 speed transmission and no muffler.

I fell only one tree with it. A 7 foot Monterey Cypress. Local traffic was stopped during the grand finale.

I had to drop the transmission low gear to finish the back-cut. There was a 3/8 steel spike in tree. Cut right through it. Not straight through but at a diagonal.

Made 500 bugs on that tree, and 3 months later I sold the old Homelite back to Jim Ferguson for $35 bugs.

Having no muffler the blast of that saw echoing off the trunk of that tree, while leaning on the saw to cut through that spike killed my ears.

But it was a glorious ending.

No clean up.

Ger', I have an old Homelite 990G that is a gear drive. 98cc's and It wears 1/2" chain and eats wood like no other thing I have ever cut with. Albeit slow... nothing will stop it once it starts to eat and you have your finger on the trigger. It had a 6' bar on it as it was used up in the hills near Mount Rainier to cut angles in the end of long logs so they wouldn't bind up on the rail cars when the logging trains took the huge trees down to commencement bay in Tacoma. One day it was run over by one of the trains and the bar received a 90 degree bend in it. So one of the cats back at the CCC camp cut the bar in 2 places and welded it back together with stainless steel wire. So It now has a 3 foot bar with a stainless steel stripe in it.

It still runs and cuts. The muffler is nothing more than a screen mounted in a small housing that diverts the exhaust to the side. You can see the piston in the exhaust port through the screen. It is the loudest thing I have ever had my hands on. It drowns out most dirt bikes, and possibly Harley's too. But man is it fun to cut wood with. Heavy, ugly, and loud... kinda like me. :lol:

Gary

Back