selling tree work in a tough economy

It's not bad out my way. Although f I had to fill week after week it'd get tougher, though luckily my only expenses these days are fuel and maintenance on the business end. All WOM, and it's amazing how much work you get from just being out there. I'd recon if I was out every day I'd be way busy, but my current job situation won't warrant that. Next year I'm highly thinking of cutting the cord with the other job though, just have to see. Stick to your guns, don't drop down too much if you think you have to in the first place.

For example, today a lady handed me a flier saying this is your competition. It said "any tree for $700", she wasn't having it as she likes our work.

I bet it is tougher in Vermont though.

Hope I'm not prying too much, but is your business competition against your employer? If so how does that work out?

There is a difference between HOs and HOAs. One of them has liability.So does the city and golf course and school/

Don't forget that school is about to start again in a few weeks. I've always had a rather severe drop in calls the week before school starts and it lasts for several weeks. Edjukatin' ur chillins iz espensive, ain't got no exxa dollas fer tree work.

Folks with kids take their last vacations of the summer in the weeks just before school starts. That usually makes it slow down a bit for me. Which is OK by me as I am trying to do the same thing.

Most of the folks from what I've seen who jump into the business that happen to have a saddle, chainsaw, plywood boards on the side of their truck, usually come and go. Even though they are low balling jobs, it's just a matter of time before clients figure out they get what they pay for. I've had many clients say, "yeah! the last guy who came in here was pretty cheap, but he did this, that, the other and trashed my yard. A good reputation takes a long time to build, but can be ruined in a fraction of the time. These so called hacks are just out to make a buck, where as we professionals are in it for the long haul. So , if you ca stick it out, it will probably come full circle for ya...

I doubt that sticking it out means simply resting on that good reputation. It has been the downfall of a lot of good tradesmen when times changed and economies tightened. I saw it happen to a lot of world class guys where I live. I think that you have to figure that you are going to lose a certain amount of what had been your previous market to the folks who now want to go cheap. Depending on your area, it could be a lot of your market. Can you stay in business until if and when the clientele comes around again? If you can supplement your marketing methods it is good to do it. The internet seems very purposeful for that, both a website and possibly a blog that shows how your are handling current jobs. Easy to update, but it requires time and effort that may be hard to come by, that is a problem. Not to wait until you are running out of work, either. Sometimes staying in business means covering ALL the bases, telling yourself that you are going to be the last one standing.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying however, world class or not that doesn't really have anything to do with it. Bottom line is how solvent are you at times like these and where is your over head at? Do you own all your equipment or you making 4000.00 dollar payments?

I increased my advertising exponentially. Yard signs everywhere I can get away with it. Trucks are signed to the hilt. Always handing out cards. And flyers. Anyone I can talk to about trees, I do so. My objective was to make people believe this guy was more than just a guy out to make money doing treework.

Low overhead is Key.

I am, thankfully, scaling back my advertising as most of my work is repeats and referrals.

lol...just make sure you go with the 7 ply and not the cheap 5 ply

Back