Saluting Branches. Who's on board????

ksTreehuggerCo

TreeHouser
So I noticed this on Rainbows website about the same time it came out in TCIA. Saluting Branches is an organization that has coordinated a day (Sep 23) for volunteers in the arborist community to get together and take care of trees in 22 of our National Cemeteries. As a veteran Im all on board and have re-arranged my elk hunting schedule to drive to Ft. Leavenworth to volunteer. I wish there was something closer to me, but I am gonna try and be a squeaky wheel and push to get Ft. Morgan National Cemetery on the list of cemeteries next year. How many other TreeHousers have participated in something like this or are contemplating participating?

salutingbranches.org

Saluting_Branches_Logo.jpg

I would be interested to volunteer as well if there were something closer to, or better yet in Montana.

Way back when I was NAA member there was a really nice article about Arlington. I think it was called "Day Of Service" climber / author was a woman who's name escapes me now. Sounds a meaningful use of our skills to donate.

We're considering partaking here in LA...but it's a toss up between doing that or doing a solo project at a local school in need. Our donation will be felt much more strongly if we are the only care working at a project....rather than just being one of a dozen other crews.

It's expensive to send an entire crew for the day. I wanna make sure we are doing the most with our giving.

love
nick

Carl (Lumberjack) and I did a day at Andersonville, GA, National Cemetery several years back...was a good time well spent.

Carl and I did some cemetery work at the Andersonville Cemetery in 2007, site of the POW camp in the Civil War. It was zero impact, roped most everything. The super dead limb almost crumbled with the ropes around it but managed to stay mostly together.

Attachments

• Andersonville 1.jpg
    Andersonville 1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Andersonville 2.jpg
    Andersonville 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Andersonville 3.jpg
    Andersonville 3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
Gotta watch out for those headstones!

Dzaamn! I was nervous working on the ,what now seem like sprout removals, i took down at cabrillo national mnmt,I dint even like dropping anything anywhere near the headstones.
was just nervous the whole time dunno why really,kudos to you sir!

The nearest National Cemetery is in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is 400 miles from me. I was hoping to volunteer at Fort Lincoln, along the Missouri River southwest of Bismarck, here in North Dakota, but they don't list that site as being one in need of tree work.

Joel

I never understood why that red oak at Andersonville got whacked...anyway Sep 23 is PNWISA, so maybe next year!

Good to volunteer your services somewhere.

I did a morning at a local preschool/ summer camp recently.

Back