Rigging black cottonwoods.

That is a nice looking grapple setup. Hoses good for 1 extension anyway. And he has a winch!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The hoses are good for Both extensions. He will yard logs with chain extensions on the grapple to log at full extension. He can pull in a log of slack quickly, then assistant shortens the chain extension if he can't reach the log.

He can reach past his 16' bed. Easier to load from the side, though (visibility and mechanics).

For big logs, he can pick one end up and put on the bed, then the other. Chaining instead of grappling if too large, but the grapple is pretty big.

The improvement would be to spread the hard hydraulic pipes apart for better access to connect/ disconnect. His are a bit too close. Color codes with zip-ties. A large flat blade screw driver helps open the coupler for attach/ detach.

He build a hydraulic auger that he hangs on the end of the boom for fence posts, etc.

If I was hooking/unhooking all the time I would look at a quick disconnect manifold style fitting.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3JQaGv10X8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For him, its occasional. He's retired, and mostly only half logs for me, and himself. Paid by the hour, too.

He has steel stakes roughly 2x4, made out of 2 welded 2" square tubes, with a flange to keep it on top of the bed.

Wood bed, so he can have boulders loaded by excavator, and dump without destroying a metal bed over time.

He has 2' metal sides for brush hauling. Might make sense for me to make fashion 4 full plywood sheets that will hook to his stakes for greater capacity, and solo dumping.

If I was hooking/unhooking all the time I would look at a quick disconnect manifold style fitting.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3JQaGv10X8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll show him that. He sheared off his humerus, not very humerous, so his 63 year old arm doesn't work the same as the past. Easier would be easier on him.

Back