Retractable lanyard setup

I didn't measure. I started with 18 I think, cut off 3-4 feet, and another 2 feet hang out of the sidewinder. So about 12ft I guess.

Here is a video of the Sidewinder after being put away wet and left to freeze.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fswkRrzsoo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video, Nick! Are you still liking the opening on the SW facing up? I am real happy with mine, with the opening facing down.

Dave

Been following this thread for a bit.
Skinny lanyard has not bothered me and I like the light weight for rec climbs and pruning.
Still use the 10mm HRC lanyards for heavier work.
Two questions:
Have any of you had the plastic pawl (dog) crack inside the mechanism? I'm thinking I might fashion one out of aluminum.

And:
Would you consider using the 8mm beeline for added capacity? I'd like closer to 16 to 18 feet in there if possible.
Or is it advisable to stay away from the Vectran core beeline for this application?
I don't like running out of lanyard and on average the most OP 10mm that I seem to get inside is about ten feet with two hanging outside...
OP 8mm doesn't meet the 5000 lb ABS, whereas the 8mm beeline is rated like 8000 lb ABS.

Hmm, just found my length of 8mm beeline and it is more like 12 to 13 feet in, but not every time.
It seems the problem is it goes in randomly, crossing itself and building up height of the reeled line quickly till it hits the outside of the shell.
Maybe we need a friendly designer at a plastics plant to make a custom-sized reel.
I may trace out the profile and make an extender to go between the halves, extend the central post, and see how that works.
Maybe another 3/4" of thickness. Originally designed for 20' of cord, so the spring take-up should be there for more length.
It may end up being too wide and hang up on branches and limit movement.

... Have any of you had the plastic pawl (dog) crack inside the mechanism? I'm thinking I might fashion one out of aluminum...

That little plastic pawl does look weak but it seems to get the job done and has not given me any trouble. I think I have close to 15' in mine, if you include the 2' that stays out. The Sidewinder is heavy enough that for me it makes putting on the harness a little more awkward, but once on the weight is a non issue.

This is how I have been using mine with the opening facing down. As you can see, it takes up no space and is tight to the body. I had to crawl up through the Picea pungens in the background to do a reduction and shape. It was a real tight squeeze and though the SW did bump and bang into branches, like every other part of me, it never tangled up or stopped progress.

Dave

474a6b66-e880-4c3a-85bb-2bd09d36b0e2_zpsce51fbea.jpg

I like how you strapped yours on Dave. Mine is secured to the same spot, I just drilled 4 small holes in the back plastic piece of mine and ran some zip ties through them. Haven't gotten to climb with it yet but it looks and feels secure.

So how expensive is Dave?
I might want to bid on him myself:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We should have these ready next week, just waiting on one more piece from the water jetters. As to making the reel or housing bigger, good luck on that!! to make a mold would be in the $40,000 dollar range, I decided to make do with what I could get off the shelf:lol:

Sidewinder with 16' 10mm beeline and cinch will run $150 which is the retail price of the components + $10 for assembly. The production version has 2 huge reusable zip ties which hold it VERY securely.

They will be on our website shortly

So, I'm still undecided on whether I like mine or not. The 10mm OP works ok in it. I don't know what exactly it is, but it never reels it all in. The spring might be old, or it might wind on the reel unevenly. Haven't given up on it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
they are for sale now, need to get them up on the site, we are putting 20 together right now for Treestuff

I'm going on two weeks now with mine. It took me a few seconds to mount it with the very heavy duty black zip ties that it came with. Fits nice and snug on the left side of the Ergovation. I put it right to work and instantly fell in love. It's everything i've dreamed of in a lanyard. One clean, compact setup - saving time and energy. I couldn't be happier with it.

Nick you have the patience of a three year old... I know your right... pics or it didn't happen... hold on...

Back