Reaming

What I don't like about the new saws is that the AV is so squishy that they let the bar climb up into a bind before you can do much about it, but I still need a lot of practice reaming as I just rarely ever use it. I had a new Stihl chain with such an aggressive side plate angle that it would dig in either side of the kerf and try to walk up and out. I had never encountered that before, and I almost couldn't complete the cut because of it.

I've never seen one in the wild. I wish Makita stayed in the gas saw game. I would seriously pay money to have a (supported)gas saw in Makita teal.

They still make them, and red was the dolmar color. Makita has owned them for a long time, but was smart enough to leave them alone. I have a few of their battery saws too, it's literally all i run lol

Yeah they did, but they still do.... i remember reading that, but they still have them listed even on their own site

Thx but I was looking for smaller, wanted a 50 cc one, and likely next spring. I have a 7910 that i love, alas not ported, but it's got the full wrap handle and that's amazing.

Also thx but i wouldn't have a clue what to do with a 9010 around here! I know there's no such thing as too much saw, but that would be overkill for all but the biggest stuff here.

Big saws seem like they should be more fun than are. Yank! Yank! Yank! blub.blub.blub... RARRR, RaRRR. "Oof... Did this thing gain weight?!" RAAAAAAAAAAA, RAAAAAAAA "Oh, time to refill the gas..."Glug, glug glug....

glug, glug, glug...

"Shit, I hope I brought enough fuel... I thought 1G would be enough!"

The thing about big saws is that they have power to spare for pure speed since the smaller saws met the threshold for pulling chain through wood at a decent rate. Take advantage of that extra power with a more aggressive chain and a bigger sprocket, and the amount of wood cut per tank goes way up. I liked my 2188 with muffler mod for that reason. It was relatively light, had a little more fuel capacity than a 660, and when running a 8t rim with aggressive chain, I'd cut almost twice what another guy was cutting with his 660. Power wise they were about the same. I haven't really put the 9010 to work yet. I just haven't had the right circumstances, but with what all I've got in it, it's grown like $600-800 in value from stupid inflation, so I figure I'll get my money's worth of work out of it before I'd sell it.

Oh I'm sure both of those saws are complete beasts, and blow my old beat up stock one out of the water. But fortunately i don't have to do much heavy production cutting other than a bit of firewood, and with my nautical themed rigging setup the cutting i was doing will be even less moving forward. I ironically cut most of my firewood with the battery saws, lots of smaller stuff makes for easier processing. The redneck kiln i built worked great too for drying some greener stuff i had as an experiment, so that idea will be explored further since it kills all the bugs and really dried stuff out (more than seasoned imo), causing deep checks and splits as the steam left. With my airtight stove it really helps put out more heat too, and in time i hope to mess around with drying/cooking torrified wood, and hopefully pressing logs and other shapes from torrified chips. I would think my 50 ton press would be enough, make a pipe form for the logs and just pull a lever to turn full on waste into fuel.

When we first got the stove i was doing it at night too since i was working full time plus some, so the battery saws were more neighbor friendly, as in you couldn't even hear anything other than the faint sound of wood cracking from the maul. Also it wouldn't wake the kids up, which tended to aggravate my better half :lol: For me it was also far easier after my chemo, even with the compression relief trying to start my big one was a bit much for quite awhile, so running it would have been misery. I could run it all day now but that hasn't always been the case, and besides the small stuff you don't you don't need to split much is the easiest and fastest stuff for me because i mainly split by hand. I'm cutting most stuff at around 12" so i can load them straight in so they burn better and don't try to roll out, so it's easy to process.

My 7910 drinks fuel too imo, nothing to run a couple gallons a day if you're running it all day, but that's very rare for me. It's so productive for the market around here that i was doing fine using an arbor trolley and log arch as my main material handling tools on most jobs, and was able to dice most trees i do up in a tank or two. It'll pump enough chips out I'm usually dragging a tarp with me when I'm using it, and it'll fill up a garbage can in those 2 tanks worth too. I like the dolmars because the gas ones really spray oil, and that's what really attracted me to dolmar saws in the first place. I run the oil wide open and go half a gas tank or a touch more to a full oil, and i maybe have a 1/4 to 1/8 tank of oil left when it's empty. Over the years I've really noticed how well that much lubrication helps things, the bar lasts and lasts, the chains run smooth with less vibration, far more power goes to cutting wood rather than friction and heat, and every one of my gas dolmar saws are like that. The battery ones are getting thirsty every other battery swap on mine, but they don't seem to oil quite as well as my gas ones do, feels more like a stihl does to me. It's adequate, but it's not the sloppy mess i know and love :lol:

Back