Purpose of oiler worm gear wires?

Robert P

TreeHouser
The wires that protrude from the worm drive gear that I see on various brands that use this kind of oiling system - are these to clear away debris that might work its way in?

1662612134929.png

They fit into notches in the clutch drum allowing the pump to be driven by the sprocket. If the chain does not turn, neither will the pump. A few cheap saws have a shaft driven worm gear, so oil pumps as long as the engine is running, which makes a pool of oil under the saw if you let it sit and idle for a few minutes.

My old 260 had the wire drive all good. My newer 260 had engine running oiling and will blob out a lot of oil when you start a cut after it's been idling. Can be very messy. Stihl just cheaping out? I don't know.

It’s an air cooled engine, it shouldn’t be let sit and idle. Just my opinion and no technical facts to back it up.

My old 260 had the wire drive all good. My newer 260 had engine running oiling and will blob out a lot of oil when you start a cut after it's been idling. Can be very messy. Stihl just cheaping out? I don't know.
Pro vs no Pro model, I think. Less to go wrong until the oil runs out because the saw sat idling for 15min while wood is being moved around.

Why have it idling for 15 minutes? Is there something wrong with it?
A pull in cord is better than idle.
There are many aspects in this that argue for shutting off rather than Idle.
Mechanically it is not a sound thing to do. If it is a bit too hot when you set it on idle, it will not cool.
To cool you flip throttle up and down a few times without load. Fan create airflow, fuel/air mix both cool it a lot better and faster than you can think.

Because letting the saw idle for a long time is what homeowners do when cutting some firewood in the woods, or cleaning up a fallen branch.

Mine seldom idle except a bull headed Husqvarna 2100 CD and that's only for a short time after a cold start .The later model Stihl's used a wire drive however I have an 024 with a worm gear drive . The McCullochs use an impulse pump drive by crankcase pressure and vacuum .The Partner p-100's have most likely in my opinion have the best being a worm drive within the internals of the crankcase that can be regulated plus have a thumb button . Plus those use a hole in the crankshaft that uses the fuel mixture to oil the clutch bearing . I might add those are the most interesting design of any saw I've ever worked on If they dribble a little doesn't bother me .

It does not seem to affect it .It's got kind of an o-ring seal .First and only design of this type I've ever seen .You might think it would blow oil or rather fuel /oil mixture but it doesn't seem to . Quite frankly those two saws I rebuilt are the only Partners I had ever worked on and in spite of the fact they date back 40 plus years they are really advanced in most respects .

Back