pulley failure

I’d hang it on a wall and come and visit it once in a while and tell stories about it to friends. But I would not use it in service.

My take is this with any gear: once you start to question it it should be taken out of service and replaced.

A hitchtending pulley doesn't really do anything. You can use those to failure and beyond. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it for hauling weight.

I wonder how they put those together. If it's just a press fit, it doesnt sound safe to begin with. You don't want to risk it somehow getting used for load bearing work.

My boss, the Young Buck would still use that like it's new. Personally, I'm a gear diva and that pulley would go in the ground rigging kit. It would never be trusted with life limb or property again.

So, this has come up before.
If you have a piece of kit you even question it's safety, probably should just remove it from kit. Just the slightest doubt while you are doing your job (one of the 5 most dangerous in the world) will be distracting you somewhere in your psyche. Generally, you do not use a HC for life support. Only as a tending pulley or for light duty mechanical advantage. DMM has told folks you do not use for life support like a bridge connection.
But seriously. Toss it and get a shiny new one if that is your go to for climbing system.
That bushing is shot or the shaft. It's done

Back