PoulanPro Muffler Ports(?)

lxskllr

Treehouser
I had already removed the spark arrestor from my PoulanPro, and decided to take the top cover off. It's louder now, but I haven't cut enough to know if it has anymore power. It has a primary output slot where the exhaust seems to vent, as well as two tubes that are pretty clean. This is what it looks like more or less(not my pic)...

s-l640.jpg

The ports were covered by the plate, but didn't seem to be sealed. Questions; What do the ports do, and is it bad to have them uncovered?

Edit:
I think I found what the tubes are for, but I'll have to check. Found a thread that mentioned it in passing, and I think it's where the bolts are that mount it to the motor. If that's the case, they're nothing.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the PR4218. I had gotten NIB from a pawnshop for $75 to replace my ms362 that got stolen. I figure cheap is good, and I had a positive experience with my previous PoulanPro. This one feels cheaper though, and we got off to a rocky start. I couldn't get it tuned right, and one of the last things I did was slam it on my tailgate before putting it away. My replacement 026 didn't work out. I think(hope) it just needs a new set of rings, but I still need to break it down and get a good look.

Long story short, after putting the PoulanPro back into service, it's been working pretty good. Everything feels about right, but it's lacking a bit of power compared to my echo cs400 which has similar specs. I was thinking a muffler mod might wake it up some.

Back