Port-a-Wrap XL

treesmith

Banned
Has anyone had any experience with the XL porty? I just saw it in Tree Services magazine and googles it. WesSpur is the only outfit I found that had it. 60,000# tensile strength...6,000# working load rating....I'd hate to rope 6,000 pounds on a porty, regardless of size! I break out the bollard or GRCS for anything over 1000#. Just wondering if anyone has tried one yet.

http://www.wesspur.com/items/rig142.html

We used your standard large as an anchor on my 7/8" rope, but running it on there might be problematic.

Isn't the GRCS bollard 4"?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep. The large is rated for 3/4", but i've found 5/8" to be about the biggest that runs well on it.

At 18 pounds, the XL seems a bit excessive. And as I said, for "big" loads, I prefer a stationary bollard over a flopping porty, regardless of how beefy it is.

Maybe just me but I feel more comfortable with dumping stuff onto my porty than a bollrd strapped to the stem. Always worried about it going up the tree. Never broke the porty or the rope at the porty. Have snapped a 3/4" tenec whoopie but that sucker was old

I always notch my big red bollard into the tree, or if using the GRCS, I use the visor. No running up the tree with them set that way!

I always notch my big red bollard into the tree, or if using the GRCS, I use the visor. No running up the tree with them set that way!

Yup thats always what I want to do with a tree Im about to exert short violent jerks to, cut into the section that will see most torque and could unbeknownst to me may be compromised ......:P

So tell me again whats wrong with a porty and a whoopee??

I bought one a while back for a job that I thought I might need it on, but ended up using a crane...I have yet to use it, but I have it by god...and a 7/8ths bull line.

Yup thats always what I want to do with a tree Im about to exert short violent jerks to, cut into the section that will see most torque and could unbeknownst to me may be compromised ......:P

So tell me again whats wrong with a porty and a whoopee??

We were discussing big/heavy pieces....which rules out stems under 24". A notch 2" deep does little to nothing to weaken a tree that is over 2' in diameter! :P

(And usually, if I'm notching (or cutting the slot for the GRCS visor), the tree is 36" or bigger anywho...)

How many big ass trees have you cut down only to find the bottom 6' is as hollow as a fart??

Maybe Im paranoid but I really don't like tempting fate.

I typically inspect before notching, Paul. And I do understand your thoughts on weakening the stem. But if it's that bad, I'd hate to rig big wood off of it to start with. Just my .02.....

I use a half inch lag if needed too but somehow that still worries me. TS you've been around how many big buatifull trees have you done that turned out to be hollow as shit?? That half inch notch could be a significant portion of the holding wood...

Like I said I'm getting old......

Must be that crane that is turning you wimpy.;)

After pulling a wasp waist on the "normal" porty by accident ( Apprentice screwing up, lesson learned by him) we went and had a solid oversize one made.
We only use it to terminate dyneema ropes with for pulling, I expect the XL would be real fine for that as well.

As for lowering with a porty.
Well, I dont use a stone ax much when felling, either.

Easy to clip up the top of a POW so it doesn't flop. Not all the advantages of a fixed bollard, but simple and effective most of the time.

What advantage does a fixed bollard have over a POW just for lowering?

It's probably just a preference thing. Load capacity is probably gonna be the same. Not that the POW takes time to wrap but the bollard is slightly quicker. I have a bollard already so I don't see myself getting a monster POW. Of course I've changed my mind on a lot of rigging gear over the years.

Easy to clip up the top of a POW so it doesn't flop. Not all the advantages of a fixed bollard, but simple and effective most of the time.

What advantage does a fixed bollard have over a POW just for lowering?

Zero movement. With the porty, if the groundie has to walk around to one side, he has to be careful that the rope spooled on the porty doesn't get against the tree. Bollard allows wider range of movement and no movement of the device at all. Smoother up top as well, IMO.

Back