Picked up a Stihl 024 AV, any tips?

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I ran across a Stihl 024 AV today for $100. It needs either the chain sharpened or a new chain according to the guy that sold it. It started third pull and ran fine for the minute I ran it in the parking lot. (Apparently a chainsaw running in the pharmacy parking lot is somewhat uncommon. I got some....looks.) The bar is straight and most of the paint is gone. When I went to shut it off by moving the choke lever all the way up to the STOP sign it stayed running for several seconds before shutting off. Any ideas? Anything to know about this particular saw? Thanks in advance!

1. I guarantee these guys are gonna clamor for pictures.

2. Seems to me any Stihl that runs for $100 is probably a great deal.

3. It'll be fun to watch this thread.

I want to say the AV mounts were a weak link on this saw for some reason? I dunno, just comes to mind, I think Jay knows them fairly well, from what I recall they were pretty solid as long as they weren't ragged on other than the AV mounts.
And I agree with Al, check the kill switch contacts.

Solid little saw, predecessor to the MS241. Convert that 024 to Picco 63PS 16" b/c and you'll have a real nice cutter .
The kill switch wire brass end may need to be pushed back into its bracket to make better contact. Sometime sawdust or dirt may be built up under the master control switch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I'll tear into it today. I'm going to check the chain and see if it is in good enough shape to sharpen and see if I can clean up the kill switch contacts.

I got the kill switch to work. The red switch would rotate just a tad past where the brass strip would hit the wire and kill it. I "massaged" the wire with a pair of pliers so that it hits now everytime and kills the saw. I was able to make out some marks on the chain. I don't know what all of them mean though. On the outside (visible) links I can see "STIHL", "325", and "C". On the inside links there is a number "6". Could someone fill me in on what chain it is? I can't find any marks in the bar. I believe it's a 16" bar since that's the shortest one that came on the 024 and its just a little longer that the bar on my Husqvarna 142 which I believe is a 14". It's significantly taller than my Husky bar.

You either have a Stihl 26 RS or 26 RM chain , both are .063 gauge .325 pitch. The RS is chisel and the RS is semi chisel.
Excellent chains either one, chisel for clean wood ....semi for dirty or frozen but a little slower cutting.
With the Stihl 63PS chisel Picco chain you'll get a little more chain cutting speed with less power needed to pull it.

Can I use the .050 gauge 63PS in the same bar? I'm guessing that the gauge is the thickness of the drive links?

No the 63PS is .050 you'd need a new bar and a 7 pin Picco rim sprocket. The bar sprocket nose needs to be 3/8 Picco pitch.Order that setup for a ms241cm at your Stihl dealer

Thanks for all of the help. I think I'll get the chain sharpened and see how it cuts before I buy a new bar and chain. Is there anything special I should tell the guy doing the sharpening? I'll try to get some pictures of it tomorrow before I remove more of the sawdust-oil mix that is everywhere on this saw.

I took the muffler off out of curiosity and to see what size bolt was missing. It only had one holding it on. I'm guessing that there USED to be a spark arrester screen in there somewhere? I can see an empty hole in the center that appears to be threaded, but there's nothing but the front and back halves of the muffler. Is there anything else that should be in there? It sounded louder than I expected with the muffler attached, but I wasn't wearing any ear protection when I started it.

The hole is likely for a screen. There should be a box like baffle affair with holes in it attached to inner muffler half that the exhaust blows through. If you clean the carbon off you can probably see where it was once attached. No longer having that part will make for a loud muffler.

The outer half appeared to have a second "half" attached to the outer cover. I didn't pry on it to see if it was one piece or not. I expected more baffling to the muffler, but the aftermarket ones I've found online don't seem to have very much to them.

Yeah, I remember now... Some of the saws in that series had a middle plate that fits in between the inner and outer covers. I don't think there was any additional baffling. An old 038 that I had was made that way. I seem to recall that the inner plate wasn't held by anything besides being sandwiched in there between the halves. It should pry apart, probably stuck with carbon.

You either have a Stihl 26 RS or 26 RM chain , both are .063 gauge .325 pitch. The RS is chisel and the RS is semi chisel.
Excellent chains either one, chisel for clean wood ....semi for dirty or frozen but a little slower cutting.
With the Stihl 63PS chisel Picco chain you'll get a little more chain cutting speed with less power needed to pull it.

With the chisel and semi-chisel chains, is there a difference when sharpening them compared to a low-kickback chain? I've never sharpened chains before. Dad has a set of files with the clamp-on guide, but I don't want make a good chain bad by sharpening it wrong.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, if I change the bar and chain to .050, wouldn't the sprocket need changed as well?

Disregard. I made a mistake with the .325 PITCH and .050 GAUGE. Plus I saw that the question was answered when the 63ps chain and bar were recommended.

Be inspired, I found this 028 at the dump. I liked the rounded cover shape on it, everything today is so squarish. Makes a good backup saw now.

Attachments

• 0280707.JPG
    0280707.JPG
    711.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 0280711.JPG
    0280711.JPG
    790.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 0281002 copy.jpg
    0281002 copy.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 47
Dropped the chain off this morning and cleaned up the bar. It has some burrs but it's straight . I'll clean them up and file them. The tip feels gritty but it's not loose. I don't know if there's anything I can do about that. What do you guys usually use to clean up a saw?

They aren't a bad little saw .That saw and the 026 had at least three types of exhaust systems .One was highly restrictive .By improving same without any other improvements it really wakes them up .

BTW I got mine from the dead pile of a dealer for 50 bucks,totally intact ,bar and all with a plastic sheath .All did was some die grinder work on the muffler,rebuilt the carb ,retune and full chisel chain .It had a tiny amount of scuff on the exhaust side of the piston because of the exhaust which I didn't do anything to .Runs just dandy,neat little light weight .

Back