Milwaukee M18 Saw (and forum intro)

flatlinesup

Treehouser
New member from Arkansas. Not a certified labeled anything dealing with cutting trees, but have ran saws in folks kitchens on disaster relief crew, heat mainly with wood (only 1.5-2 cords/yr in AR), have a small, old band mill and a Alaskan style chainsaw mill, have a few saws and not a brand fan boy although I do lean toward Husqvarna and now Milwaukee. Not a pro by any means, but have made a few more chips than the average homeowner. Appreciate the opportunity to learn more and share my personal experiences here.

For those that haven't used a battery saw, they're "different". A lot less noise, no exhaust blowing in your face, a little less power (comparing to avg 16" gas saw), no choke, fuel filter, air filter, oil/gas mix, chain stops a lot quicker, zero noise when you're not pulling the trigger etc. It's my go to saw choice for most anything it will cut.
As I've gotten used to it and better at using it, IMHO it's made me a better sawyer with my gas saws as well (keeping them sharper, paying better attention to technique etc)

My Milwaukee M18 setup consists of two saws, 8 chains (sharp matters a little more w/the battery saws IMHO), 3 12ah, 2 9ah, and 2 6ah HO batteries. The batteries will keep it going about as long as my gimpy old rear feels like sawing at one time, and I can recharge the morning batteries (usually both 12's and one 9 or 6) over lunch w/several 1hr quick chargers I have.
Biggest lessons/tips I can share to extend cutting time: don't pull the trigger unless your ready to cut (no blipping the throttle etc), keep a sharp chain, let the saw cut (instead of trying to force it thru or lean on it) and stay off the dogs unless absolutely necessary.
My woodlot where I cut firewood and mill is only 50 yards from the house, so charging batteries is not a hassle, although charging batteries is not the only thing to think about with them. When getting used to running them, I would overheat the batteries fairly often until I learned to keep off the dogs, keep a sharper than usual chain, and let the saw do the cutting. Now it's rare I ever see the blinky disco lights on my batteries.
My oldest one is about 6 months old now and I've got to admit when I first got it I wasn't initially very impressed with all the plastic that lent it to feeling like a toy, but after using it for an extended period of time, it's a good, viable tool for the jobs I've asked it to do.

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" Chainsaw, 2727-20 (tool only), 2727-21 (saw, 12ah battery, quick charger)

Pics in woodyard show bucked firewood all cut w/M18, and in the field the two large water oak were dropped with a Husqvarna 372xp and the rest of the work was done with 2 M18's.

Attachments

• Resized_20201109_120121.jpeg
    Resized_20201109_120121.jpeg
    871.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20201111_075043.jpeg
    Resized_20201111_075043.jpeg
    847.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20201111_134631.jpeg
    Resized_20201111_134631.jpeg
    878.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Resized_20201111_134809.jpeg
    Resized_20201111_134809.jpeg
    986.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_20201112_130919.jpeg
    Resized_20201112_130919.jpeg
    942.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Resized_20201114_150629.jpeg
    Resized_20201114_150629.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
more pics. Also show log arch on trailer.

Attachments

• Resized_20201117_131126.jpeg
    Resized_20201117_131126.jpeg
    881.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Resized_20201118_123059(1).jpeg
    Resized_20201118_123059(1).jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Resized_20201118_132217.jpeg
    Resized_20201118_132217.jpeg
    939.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Resized_20201118_132239.jpeg
    Resized_20201118_132239.jpeg
    895.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_Resized_20201113_090937002.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20201113_090937002.jpeg
    818.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized_20201109_085047.jpeg
    Resized_20201109_085047.jpeg
    843.5 KB · Views: 16
friends who helped with the job and links to a couple vids

Friends vid about the saws

vid about the loading/log arch

Attachments

• Resized_20201105_142922.jpeg
    Resized_20201105_142922.jpeg
    923.7 KB · Views: 0
We've got M18's on our rapid response rescue truck...and all the rescue units have at least one in addition to the Stihls.
They cut just fine, plenty of grunt for quick emergency work and yes the no fumes, quieter running are a bonus in close in work around trapped people.

I have two gas chainsaws a Stihl CM211 and Stihl CM261C-M, but i needed a much smaller chainsaw so it could be handled a lot closer to the ground.

What i found was the Hart 20V 12 inch HART 20-Volt 12" Brushed Chainsaw Bare Tool - Walmart.com - https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-20-Volt-12-Brushed-Chainsaw-Bare-Tool/335063622

Hart chainsaw comes with a battery and battery charger at a very low cost $154+Tax out the door.

They also have a larger one a 14 inch but it's a 40V and i already have many Hart tools using the 20V Battery HART 40-Volt Cordless Brushless 14-inch Chainsaw Kit (1) 4.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery - Walmart.com - https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-40-Volt-Cordless-Brushless-14-inch-Chainsaw-Kit-1-4-0Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery/236354970

Nice thing about my Hart 12 inch chainsaw it comes with a battery and a battery charger, all you need is some chain oil and your ready to get cutting.

I just needed a small saw to cut tough 7 inch DIA. tough bush stumps close to ground, and the Hart 12 inch chainsaw did it quickly.
Hart 12 inch Li Battery Chainsaw and Bush Stump it cut 03312021.jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
New member from Arkansas. Not a certified labeled anything dealing with cutting trees, but have ran saws in folks kitchens on disaster relief crew, heat mainly with wood (only 1.5-2 cords/yr in AR), have a small, old band mill and a Alaskan style chainsaw mill, have a few saws and not a brand fan boy although I do lean toward Husqvarna and now Milwaukee. Not a pro by any means, but have made a few more chips than the average homeowner. Appreciate the opportunity to learn more and share my personal experiences here.

For those that haven't used a battery saw, they're "different". A lot less noise, no exhaust blowing in your face, a little less power (comparing to avg 16" gas saw), no choke, fuel filter, air filter, oil/gas mix, chain stops a lot quicker, zero noise when you're not pulling the trigger etc. It's my go to saw choice for most anything it will cut.
As I've gotten used to it and better at using it, IMHO it's made me a better sawyer with my gas saws as well (keeping them sharper, paying better attention to technique etc)

My Milwaukee M18 setup consists of two saws, 8 chains (sharp matters a little more w/the battery saws IMHO), 3 12ah, 2 9ah, and 2 6ah HO batteries. The batteries will keep it going about as long as my gimpy old rear feels like sawing at one time, and I can recharge the morning batteries (usually both 12's and one 9 or 6) over lunch w/several 1hr quick chargers I have.
Biggest lessons/tips I can share to extend cutting time: don't pull the trigger unless your ready to cut (no blipping the throttle etc), keep a sharp chain, let the saw cut (instead of trying to force it thru or lean on it) and stay off the dogs unless absolutely necessary.
My woodlot where I cut firewood and mill is only 50 yards from the house, so charging batteries is not a hassle, although charging batteries is not the only thing to think about with them. When getting used to running them, I would overheat the batteries fairly often until I learned to keep off the dogs, keep a sharper than usual chain, and let the saw do the cutting. Now it's rare I ever see the blinky disco lights on my batteries.
My oldest one is about 6 months old now and I've got to admit when I first got it I wasn't initially very impressed with all the plastic that lent it to feeling like a toy, but after using it for an extended period of time, it's a good, viable tool for the jobs I've asked it to do.

Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" Chainsaw, 2727-20 (tool only), 2727-21 (saw, 12ah battery, quick charger)

Pics in woodyard show bucked firewood all cut w/M18, and in the field the two large water oak were dropped with a Husqvarna 372xp and the rest of the work was done with 2 M18's.
I notice one of the men doing the cutting is wearing Chaps, Chaps will not stop a battery powered chainsaw chaps are designed to stop stop a gas powered chainsaws.
Just thought i would point this item out to forum readers.

I notice one of the men doing the cutting is wearing Chaps, Chaps will not stop a battery powered chainsaw chaps are designed to stop stop a gas powered chainsaws.
Just thought i would point this item out to forum readers.
As long as the Chaps are Designed to be used with a battery chainsaw, are you sure the man in video is using the type chaps Designed for a battery powered chainsaw?

I am betting they are just standard gas chainsaw chaps, i just posted my reply so people would have a warning about chaps Designed for gas chain saws will not stop a battery powered chainsaw.

Chaps are chaps...you can get some trousers designed for 21m/s though, the newer chainsaws are running at that speed now

Chaps are chaps...you can get some trousers designed for 21m/s though, the newer chainsaws are running at that speed now
Chainsaws using D.C. Motors are not effected by cloth or fiber like a gas powered chainsaw is, the D.C. motor just powers on many have found this out when their battery powered chainsaws quickly cut through their Chaps and giving their legs a really bad cutting day having them end up in the E.R.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest about chaps and battery powered chainsaws, if you don't agree with what i posted just disregard it.

Chainsaws using D.C. Motors are not effected by cloth or fiber like a gas powered chainsaw is, the D.C. motor just powers on many have found this out when their battery powered chainsaws quickly cut through their Chaps and giving their legs a really bad cutting day having them end up in the E.R.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest about chaps and battery powered chainsaws, if you don't agree with what i posted just disregard it.
I agree and thanks for bringing that safety aspect up here regarding electric saws. Instant torque with a dc brushless motor powered by a lithium-ion battery. They will eat thru conventional chaps like nobody’s business. Welcome to the house , lot of knowledgeable folk here , but like anywhere else you have to separate the wheat from the tares , it seems like some here (especially those across the pond) are a bit “different” in their approach

Oh, come on dude.
Nothing beats getting into a pissing contest with a Texan.

Welcome to the 'House.

Hey, if it cuts wood, that's what really matters, right? My office saw is a PoulanPro. I'm well aware it isn't a Stihl, but it cuts wood, and serves my needs. We didn't have a great start, but seem to have reached an understanding, and that's fine by me.

Hey, if it cuts wood, that's what really matters, right? My office saw is a PoulanPro. I'm well aware it isn't a Stihl, but it cuts wood, and serves my needs. We didn't have a great start, but seem to have reached an understanding, and that's fine by me.
My first chainsaw was a PoulanPro this was over 10 years ago when they were a pretty well made saw sadly today they are not.
I used gas with Alcohol in it and a few years later when i tried changing the filter, the hose snapped off right at the housing making one have to split the case to repair it i just threw it in trash as i only paid $160 for it and went out and bought a Sthil and then used gas without any Alcohol in it,

If I might ask, any chance you could keep tabs of rough number of hours use and do a visual inspection of before and after of the primary spur gear reduction which I'm betting is in the saw, the extra whirring sound. On a regular saw the bar and sprocket wear, but I believe you have this extra feature to worry about. I don't know if anyone has put long, hard hours on a battery saw yet and I've never heard good or bad on the gear life. Anything in the manual about re-greasing etc? I'm meaning in the long term.

Brushless or regular dc? Ought to be brushless for better battery life and less maintenance.

Welcome :)

edit - looks like you have to get a bucket of type J grease for your spur gears, manual is online

Last edited:
It's brushless. I'm doing my best to try to wear this one out (lol)* and through the summer will be using it frequently to down as well as buck some trees up. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Thanks to all that welcomed me (and chainsawer4741 lol)
* I have another new one waiting in the wings

Nice thing about the Hart is it's $154 US battery&charger out the Walmart door, that's chicken feed money compared to many other brands that start around $300 and batteries and charger adding close to another $300.
The Hart wears out you pitch it and get another, a battery chainsaw has it's place but in no way will replace a gas chainsaw.

Back