Palm Cleaning Deaths

Steve, I am curious, how much to do one that is loaded like the one in your Avatar?

You know V it's been so long I couldn't remember. I think $250 each. There are two there. While I was up in the top of one I used a pole and got a rope into the other one. Bermy after about 20 years of growth on them the leaves have begun to rot off and there are just the stalks sticking out of the trunk. Ugg-Lee. Once in while someone will set one on fire and it burns the trunk super clean. It will have just the boots on and it will look like the tree is dead. Pretty soon there is a little sprout of green on the top and the tree looks really nice for a bit.

I heard today he was using a ring and ring FS and started to descend and the FS slipped straight down the stem.

jp:D

Yikes...I was up and down coconuts yesterday using a RR FS to descend, mind you I made it adjustable with a nylon strop so it was pretty tight, still...nasty, sad to hear.

I heard today he was using a ring and ring FS and started to descend and the FS slipped straight down the stem.

jp:D

I descend using a ring/ring FS on all coconut cleans, which is the fastest way. However you have to make sure it's around at least two upright fronds that forms a nice crotch. I also use the steel ringed FS from buckingham as it can handle hard landing when yanked from a tree. And I might get grief here but I spike coconut cleans ( it is the only spike prunes I do by the way not even exotic palms do I spike ), otherwise it ain't worth it and that's how it's done throughout this island, unless the dude is free climbing which I ain't doing too many deaths and injuries. IMG03985-20120606-1002.jpg

Thanks, because they don't pay enough here for the srt set up which is really a shite time consuming load. Certain exotics have a better frond setup which is stronger and you can set a line over top and get good results. Sorry to here about these mishaps, palms are super dangerous and can invoke fear especially removing skinny tall coconut palms near the beach with high winds. This little pin was really tough to get comfortable because it had so much movement with the wind and it had to be rigged as it was over the hotels precious deck. IMG02085-20120128-1041.jpg IMG02093-20120128-1122.jpg IMG02096-20120128-1131.jpg IMG02098-20120128-1144.jpg IMG02101-20120128-1151.jpg

That's looking good, swing. I've never done a palm but would not hesitate to use spikes.

I did some work at Katrina and used spikes to climb some trees (pines) that we had to set a high line in to gain access to a big pine on a house. Got TONS of grief on another site about that. It was an emergency situation with hurricane damage everywhere...spikes were safe and efficient. We were there for two weeks and I posted some picts from the area while there. The bedwetters (Treeco was the most wack) at their safe, cool houses wailed and gnashed their teeth about the spikes. When I invited them to come on down and help us without using any spikes they got real quiet.

Carry on, Swing, looking good.

Thanks Gary, the couch potatoes and their remotes have no right passing judgement in dangerous situations they should jolly well stay in the peanut gallery with the rest of their onlooking peers. Kudos to you and your buds helping out after that frightening disaster, those poor people had to endure a lot of aftermath suffering very sad. Hurricanes are frightening, believe me when I say so.

A big coconut frond...whaddya say Swing, about 20lbs, more? Our coconuts are a bit weedy because its that much colder here in the winter than the Carribbean.

Now a full spike of nuts...another story completely!

Ditto on the spikes, I did 12 on Wednesday.

Have I missed a welcome to the TH for Swing? Nice to have another islander mate! I've been to Barbados once, on a hockey tour...lots of Bajans here in Bermuda, police, chefs usually.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 13
Bermie you use SRT on coconut trees? Frond size would depend on maturity and whether the palm is cleaned regularly and variety plays a part but you weight of a mature coco palm frond is correct. I like to get up take care of business and get back down, they only pay $50 US each. We got some rather stink ones sometimes that I truly hate. A BOW of coconuts could weigh easily 75 to 100 lbs depending on the productivity. This is going by what they feel like in my hands as I know what a bag of cement weighs. True we export police thank God we have enough already and chefs too they everywhere. Hardly any good tree climbers though most spike everything, people here don't mess with heights in general especially with a running chainsaw. We got coconut trees like weeds and they grow very fast. Spiking them ain't no big deal IMHO. Nice to meet you Bermie. Fellow islander. How about them Royal Palm removals nasty critters. Here is a baby. IMG02515-20120226-1058.jpg IMG02518-20120226-1105.jpg

Oops did not see attachment Bermie I see ya got dem spikes on , me I will spike coconut trees till I die, all other prunes are done without spikes just to be clear.

Ha, at least your guys use spikes, here the landscrapers just slap up a ladder and cut where they can't get any higher.
I don't SRT palms, just spike or bucket truck.

We're sub tropical so palms don't grow as fast here, coconuts are worth at least $100 per foot of clear trunk for transplanting mature specimens, or a two or three year old seedling will sell for $350, we can't import any palms or seeds, total quarantine.

Where'd you do your training?

I do all my climbing that's me in my photos, I am self taught by reading and just working and a couple DVD's at first too. I eat and sleep climbing it came real easy to me as I was always climbing something and I studied engineering at university so rigging is just phsysics which is also straight forward. I am a total action dude, I like technical stuff and working with my hands and body. Hate desk jockey jobs hence my career change at 40 I been climbing 5 years. I'm now 45 with a 11 month old baby boy and my daughter just turned 19, so go figure. Check these shots out not bad for a relatively isolated climber the first one is a removal of a previously topped monster Flamboyant and the next is a ailing Ficus benjamina that I am trying to save on my aunt's plantation that portion is dying back and hollow but the standing part is solid I am using the wrench ta boot which I love. IMG01636-20120114-1244.jpg IMG03872-20120601-1253.jpg Here is the trunk section of the Flamboyant. IMG01776-20120116-1132.jpg Here is the 660 with 36" bar taken down this last piece of spar, not the best position but I knew what was going on my saw handling is pretty good. Hate chaps by the way, got a brand new pair and they are sitting by my buds. So easy does it just trying to let you all see what's the wild stuff we got down here that tree was ugly. IMG01841-20120116-1653.jpg One more. IMG01678-20120114-1425.jpg

ive only successfully pulled a line into a palm once or twice, major PITA. i have no qualms spiking the buggers (tho i will step lightly or use a ladder till im above visual height). we do do one fan palm no spike at the clients request. i was super excited and used Jay's Japanese stick climbing trick to get up to the crown (with the addition of an adjustable FS back-up). fortunately all the really bad, and dangerous fan palms we have done have been bucket accessible. interesting to see you rigging palm there Swing, my co-workers are adamant that rigging palm is tantamount to suicide. Ive never seen it done, but always figured there was no good reason you couldn't.

Jaime, since you mentioned it, regarding the stick trick, a good way to use the method when you are at a position for cutting a top or chunks or whatever, is to have one foot on the stick, and another in a loop that hangs down tied from the stick. Having both feet on the narrow up against the tree stick when working, may not be the most comfortable. With the loop you get a bit more maneuverability. I don't recall if that was shown in the vid. I have watched the fellow use the method quite a bit since posting that. At least for him without using spikes, it is essential in his bag of tricks, gets a major of use from it, and seems safe and secure with it. After getting it tied, he always gives a little hop on it to check for secure.

it must have been in the vid cause i was using it with the hanging loop. not the fastest palm ascent ive done, but it was the first time using the trick, and it impressed the guys at work.

That stuff Porkbrick Is Royal Palm the shite is one tough cookie, I been rigging coconut palms since I began climbing 5years ago, let it run baby. Coconut palms are one strong wood. Don't enjoy the skinny one's though I just suck it up. Palms are a dangerous game, don't let their size fool you they are unforgiving and vigilance is needed around the clock. These royals can reach 80' to 100' in maturity ( yikes ). They survive many a storm so they are tough. No bucket trucks down here so we gotta climb.

Back