Palm Cleaning Deaths

most of what we have around here are fan palms and canary island dates. some of the mexican fans get up around 75 foot. never had to remove one that tall, but pruned a few. kind of fun to swing around up there.

That is why I posted them, tropical trees are not very tall but the climbing is very tricky and the rigging is even more tricky because the drop zones are small and the wood doesn't have far to go but has size and weight as it's usually hardwood and very dense. So don't use no true blue like Daniel Murphy and no Nystron or Polydyne. Let it run and brake before it crashes the turf that is the word bro. Double Easterlon or Samson Stable braid. Only way to go, even Treemaster which is tops in natural crotch rigging is a good choice just get the 5/8 for heavy wood and 1/2 for regular weight and brush. I have run the gamut in my short 5 years, but my reputation as a true pro is getting around. No job here is to tricky it just takes a little brain power. With tall trees you got height at your advantage, though the wood is super heavy at times just saying all tree work has it's challenges.

Butch I wish I could, but I think I prefer climbing for a little longer as I only got five years. I really like it and the body loves it more, keeps the stomach flat so the wife keeps telling me.

Don't worry I have always been fit, and very agile the stomach has always been flat. Five years climbing and time is relative it what I've learn't in that time that count, some are quick and some are slow I know what category I am in. And I do like kidding around when need be. Here's two pics to prove my point dude and two more royal palm removals and one with my son six months ago. IMG00705-20111126-1343.jpg IMG00844-20111208-1721.jpg s

I see where you are coming from Butch, as we age we slow down and that maybe in a few years that bucket truck is going to look real nice. I guess after all your years in the trees you are getting to that point. But I have missed out on huge amounts of fun and want to make up for lost time. Here's my son now ain't he just a handsome boy. Didier.jpg

I've got the scary dead palm Sunday morning 7:30am...the top fell off ten days ago so the stem should be ok...
If its not 70' its nothing...got to rig on itself.

I've done coconuts rigged on themselves, you just have to get the pullry sling or whoopie nice and tight and HANG ON, cause those buggers can bounce if the groundie gets it wrong.

What kind of palm bermie? Here most palms being removed are rigged. I know of a few guys who used the crane for the royals. Coconut trees can give ya a good ride especially with wind howling.

You know, I'm not quite sure...there are what look like some seed heads still attached to it, but too high to see properly..it's way too tall for a chinese fan, too thick for a solitaire, too thin for a royal or queen, no obvious crownshaft, too straight for a coconut (but it is in a sheltered spot) bit of a mystery.

Job postponed...rain and thunder.

Swing, I see casuarinas in your new avatar...I get to cut a lot of those, invasive buggers, they get pretty big here, same there?

Sorry everyone else, I got a caribbean cousin to chat to...lots in common, we should start our own thread I guess:)

Bermy, I was just thinking of you, thinking the job was about to start. Get some pics if you can when it is back on.

Hey Bermie. I cut a lot of casaurinas down here and for height they are our tallest growing trees. I love them, they get big heavy drooping limbs that can become human catapults because of the push back force after the hinge releases. Many a man have been cautioned on trying to cut too big and have been thrown from the spar for not heeding the warning thank God for TIP, dudes here cut a lot without using their lanyard among other bad practices. Casaurinas make good trees to protect against erosion and the biggest are found near beaches. A lot have been removed due the building of lots of hotels and condos beachside. It's wood is really heavy and hard like most wood found down here. Sorry to ramble but you are the first person that I have talked to on the forums that knows about climbing in the tropics. Some guys have travelled and dabbled but don't really know the tropical species and their pros and cons of working in them. I don't climb many tall trees ( 80' max ) but work with heavy wood from Mahogany, Saman, Pride of India , Casaurina and Flamboyant. The flamboyant and Saman are soft. We got lots of other trees but these are the most prevalent. Sorry for the derail and ramble folks. Here is an 70' ( tall and skinny because it was crowded out by two bigger stocky ones ) casaurina I removed spurless ( I sometimes like a challenge to keep things exciting ) which was one of three removed that way and took two days . IMG_6104.jpg Here I am setting the line at the base. IMG_6067.jpg

What is Jay's Japanese stick climbing trick? I'd like to add it to my toolbox.

I’ve only cleaned a handful of Washingtonia palms, and I use the adjustable false crotch with an omni swivel block. Palm deaths resulting from the skirt pinning the climber to the trunk has been happening for a long time. ANSI Z133.1, 9.2.6 addresses the problem. If an aerial lift can not be used, then a climbing line and false crotch SHALL be used, and the palm SHALL be cleaned from the top down. I charge a premium to clean palms with this method.

Back