OU climbing

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
S

sytherstrike

Well I did alright at the competition today. I was 50 thousands of a second away from getting third in the aerial rescue. I scored 0 on the throw bag and 0 on the work climb. The trees for the throw bags were in a tight spot with lots of limbs, I just had a hard time isolating the line. The work climb was hard. The first station was set straight out from the tie in about 25 feet. The second was another 25 feet from that, than you had to thrust back up 15 feet go over a limb, drop down walk out on anouther limb, come back drop through crotch and stick the landing. I only made it to station 2 when my time ran out. On the foot lock, I made it half way up, which was a good 30 feet. I'm pretty happy with what I did, being a first timer and all. I did win the award for spirit, and they gave me a echo chainsaw cs330 for winning that, so that was cool. I put every I had into each event . Heres some pics.

The first one is me getting ready for the work climb:
setworkclimb.jpg

This is me getting ready to foot lock:
readytolock.jpg

This is me footlocking up:
footlock.jpg

This is me on the left my son with a frog and my good friend fellow employee and training partner Aaron:
mearonandmeboy.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you hear about anyone falling out of a tree due to a broken aluminum ring?

Yes about 60 people saw it. It really freaked alot of people out, he didn't even shock load the ring, he just dropped down through a crotch on the work climb and it just made a really loud pop sound. He landed on his knees and was ok. The ring was a small one that floated on the bridge of his sequoia srt, and after it happened made me think of that recall from Sherill but no one could confirm if that was the ring or not.

Yeh no doubt!! As you are all probably tired of hearing about, I took a fall a couple of years back when a pin came out of a handled ascender that I didnt have backed up, fell 37'. Yes it does mess with your faith in the gear. It never used to even occure to me that I could fall, now I have to be the one to tie all the knots in my ascent system etc (Brian it wasnt that I didnt trust you at the GTG:)) as when I get to about 50-60' I start to think how much it would suck to have something go wrong. I really hope I get my trust back cause it kinda sucks having that underlying doubt in the back of your head:(

Back