optimal climbing weight

Well most of you know my story...5'3" and 116...less to haul up, easy to tiptoe the tips, I've weighed this much for 25yrs give or take a couple pounds. there are days where I thank God I'm small...like in a small bendy tree!
My Dad was small and lean, I think I inherited his genes.
I often have thought about what I eat, my concern is that I don't eat enough to properly maintain and repair muscle and joints. And then people say you start to lose muscle mass after a 'certain age' no matter what you do.

5' 10" and been 185 for about thirty years. Still get up early and work out five days a week. Any extra weight will wear on you through the years. Knees, hips, ankles. Thank God at 54 I'm still climbing with no major injuries or joint pain. Got several water oaks lined up for dismantle this morning.

I agree on extra weight hurting the joints...has to produce extra friction that makes for more wear.

I don't climb regularly but do enough to know that if I did treework full time it could likely take a big toll on the body.

What's your workout? You must be doing some things very right to be 54 and "with no major injuries or joint pain."

And WELCOME to the House.:)

5' 10" and been 185 for about thirty years. Still get up early and work out five days a week. Any extra weight will wear on you through the years. Knees, hips, ankles. Thank God at 54 I'm still climbing with no major injuries or joint pain. Got several water oaks lined up for dismantle this morning.

Mighty impressive, Limbrat. Have you been doing tree work all these years? What kind of workout do you do 5 days a week?

I was a distance runner in HS, Senior year I lost a ton of weight, I am 6'2" and I think my lowest weight was under 175 lbs. My thought was the less weight I had, the less I had to carry around each lap. My goal was state and I got there. Don't think under 175 was good though. College I think I was around 215

Now I tend to run in the high 190's. I would love to be 185.

High reps low weight.

I ran cross-country, too...my Junior year in HS...wanted to earn a "Letter" for a sweater and was too small for football, basketball, etc...wasn't the best on the team but held my own.

When I was on an Outward Bound type survival course the summer before my senior year of HS a part of the graduation was a 10 mile run through the mtns. of N. GA. One mile up the "shortcut" up the side of a mtn...4 miles along a jeep road turn around and go back to camp.

That took me 72 minutes...45 min. first 5 miles, a lot of uphill grade, then 27 minutes last five miles. Up to that point I was just a little guy (next to the smallest) in a group of about 50 kids learning survival skills for a month. Winning that race was a big deal for me at that point in my life...I hadn't done anything quite like that before. I was running against big strong football jocks, regular guys, tall lean basketball types, you name it. I was real lean and ramped up at that point...had been living on C-rations for a month, exercising everyday in addition to learning camping, water survival, first aid, rock climbing from Army Rangers..a very active summer.

That is when I started appreciating being lightweight and being able to handle my body weight. Before that I used to drink shakes with raw eggs and eat lots to try to gain weight...I got over that foolishness.

Welcome to the House, Tr33...glad to have you here.

Good story, Gary. Speaking of dealing well with your bodywieght, maybe you should repost that vid of you rope climbing in the gym, those who haven't seen it might appreciate it.

A lot of what I do is body-weight exercises. Here is the rope climbing:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_-DcAz8h11I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and here is some pole climbing I do sometimes:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6C5hMsUfyRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You make it look easy, Gary, kinda like a pantheraba

I'm 6' and right at 200. I don't like 200. When I climbed everyday I was 175ish, I'd be happy with 185-190 these days.
This was 170-175 back in the day
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t44X2svgz4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back