One rope, one Redneck & one deer.....

I worked in a logging camp that had a tame deer living there on Vancouver island, in the Artlish a short boat ride from Woss. It was pretty wild the first time I saw it and thought geez that deer is close and then walked right up to it and pet it. It was totally tame you could give it a hug even, feed it right out of your hand. Actually after mess hall some evenings it was damn near agressive for some leftovers.

The problem with raising any wild animal in captivity is the fact they loose their fear for mankind ,deer especially .

Some folks down near my aunt and uncle raised a fawn that would not leave ,grazed with a flock of Suffolk sheep just like it was one of them .During hunting season they put and orange vest on her so some dumbarse wouldn't shoot her . That was maybe 7-8 years ago ,I saw the yearling at that time but have no idea what happened to her .

I imagine though that nature being nature she got that little itch one fall and wandered off to meet Buckley do right .For all I know she could have offsprings wandering all over Knox county Ohio thinking they are Suffolk sheep .

I have to be cautious with my 'bottle calves'. If they're heifers (female calves) I always keep them. They seem to go through a 'teenager' stage that can last for a couple years....they're still 'tame' but somewhat unpredictable. Put a couple hundred pounds of beef behind a playful (or pissy) nudge the wrong way and someone (ME) could get hurt.

The Holstein bulls at the dairies are dangerous for that same reason. They have largely been replaced by artifical insemination. But there are still some around.

We keep a bull on pasture in the summer, but usually get rid of him when the heifers come home for the winter. A couple of generations of my family have been gored, screw that. My mother has been doing AI here for probably 30 years.

Back