Newbie question

bissonj

Treehouser
Hi Everyone, I'm clearing almost 30 years of over growth. We have Spruce trees along the property line, they are alive and healthy on our side, But over the years hardwoods have established on the neighbors side and is blocking the light so no needles growing there. I want to cut down the hardwoods and let the light back into the spruces, what else do I need to do to get that side of the trees to bear needles 20200621_160107.jpg 20200621_160107.jpg again

You will need a bit of luck also. Spruce trees are one of the conifer trees that will regenerate growth but it is not a guarantee that they will. It can also take a fair amount of time.

Check for storm wind direction. As trees grow in groups, they become codependent, so big changes in exposure dynamics can leave the remaining trees more vulnerable to wind throw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You will need a bit of luck also. Spruce trees are one of the conifer trees that will regenerate growth but it is not a guarantee that they will. It can also take a fair amount of time.

Check for storm wind direction. As trees grow in groups, they become codependent, so big changes in exposure dynamics can leave the remaining trees more vulnerable to wind throw.
Most of the storms (winter) are nor'easters live in MA. Want to be minimally intrusive clearing, trying to drop everything away from the spruces. and being very careful working around them. The problem is it was left for so many years. should I try clearing a corner first and see what happens?

Welcome bissonj. There's plenty of knowledgeable folks here on spruce trees. Unfortunately that's not me. But look around and ask away.

I'm not a pro, but I'm skeptical of those spruces ever looking nice 360°. Imo, what you now have is about what you'll always have. Remove the hardwoods, and you'll have a patchy bald spots that don't look so nice.

The thing you want to watch out for is winds coming from the side that the hardwood trees are on. Spruce trees are shallow rooted to begin with and when growing in groups, develop in response to that situation. If they don't need extra root support because they are protected from winds by other trees, they won't grow any. When those other trees are cut down they become vulnerable to wind-throw.

The thing you want to watch out for is winds coming from the side that the hardwood trees are on. Spruce trees are shallow rooted to begin with and when growing in groups, develop in response to that situation. If they don't need extra root support because they are protected from winds by other trees, they won't grow any. When those other trees are cut down they become vulnerable to wind-throw.
Live in MA so most of our bad storms are nor'easters the spruces good side (our side) faces approx north, so the bad side is south facing (neighbors) side

OP, as said above spruce are fickle to push new growth. I have seen a handful of spruce push new growth. And only a handful.

One option , leave hardwoods alone , remove all Spruce , then replant w nursery stock... more Spruce , maybe Hemlocks as they tend to hold their lower limbs

spruce is what my girlfriend decided on 27 years ago, so this is what I have to work with. And the base requirement is the spruces survive, even if it comes down to leaving the established hard woods alone, and just clean up the scrubby stuff. I just don't want to damage the spruces.

If it were me, I'd leave the hardwoods, but I also like the barely contained chaos look. I like cluttered trees. The cloak of green makes me feel secure.

edit:
Guess which lot is mine...

Screenshot_20200622_134051.png

:^D

Last edited:
I don't know your laws, but here, it's strictly forbidden to touch the neighbor's trees, even to cut a single limb.

I don't know your laws, but here, it's strictly forbidden to touch the neighbor's trees, even to cut a single limb.
The trees are ours and on our property, the problem is the bad side is facing the neighbors, and I'm trying to clear without horrifying the neighbor cause he's been a very good neighbor.

Whatever you decide to do...do it a bit at a time, maybe start with thinning/reducing the hardwoods, see if there is any effect on the spruce. If not, then you won't have gotten rid of them prematurely...if the spruce start to show signs of response...carry on a bit more...etc, etc.
One of my mantras is 'You can always take more off, but you can't put it back."

I'd consider a little pruning of all the low tips, to push the trees for more bushiness, down low, and to prevent creep of thin branches at the bottom outward over time.

I've gotten good privacy screening this way on Doug-fir, Grand-fir, Western redcedar, Monterey Cypress, and Leland Cypress.

Back