New Stihl Power Pruners

Merle Nelson

TreeHouser
Stihl changed to squarish front tubes and a few other things a while back.

I'm going to order a bunch of the old style front tubes and drive shafts to keep my older models going.

Just a heads up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I like the 4 stroke using mix gas.

Butch it may not bend quite as easy but, when it does I suspect it will be once and done.

I do stuff risking the pole/shaft at times and 99 or 199 times it turns out okay. On the older round ones when it doesn't I put it between a crotch and slightly bend it back until I get the straightest, keep on running, configuration. The end five foot tube and inner shaft I'm running now on my smaller HT has been bent about 3 times and is continuing to work okay - albeit with more noise. About 6 months of added service so far.

I guess that's well? You have a nice place. Interesting stuff to look at.

I'd really like to see more electric or gas powered hydraulic pole saws. I think they would be lighter, less prone to damage, and easier to repair.

The gas ones at elwork were always broken from slamming back and forth in the chip body. Gas tanks were#1 injury.

I'd like to try the Milwaukee M18 pole saw.

Not sure what you mean..
My thoughts are: have the motor direct drive the chain on the end of the pole, no shaft or shaft support bearings. I don't know how light weight a hydraulic drive system would be, but electric could be plenty light, and the wires are flexible if the pole gets bent. Then you just need the poles to be tolerant of more flex, or include some sort of joints that will bend or pop apart instead of breaking. Still, empty poles with wires running through them should be much cheaper to replace than a drive shaft and all. Having a little onboard battery would certainly be lighter than an engine and gas tank, and it could plug into a wearable battery for most of its use. 1kW of continuous power should be easily achievable, even peaking up to 2.4kW quite easily.

18v supplying 2.4kW would be ~133 amps. Those ~1 gauge wires are going to be heavy.

4 batteries in series would drop that to ~33 amps, 8 gauge might work.

18v supplying 2.4kW would be ~133 amps. Those ~1 gauge wires are going to be heavy.

4 batteries in series would drop that to ~33 amps, 8 gauge might work.
Unnecessary, this isn't house wiring. Use high temp insulation, and voltage around 30v or so. 2.4kW peak is not unreasonable, continuous of course would not be as practical, which is why I said 1kW continuous. 14AWG would probably work just fine, maybe 12AWG.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd really like to see more electric or gas powered hydraulic pole saws. I think they would be lighter, less prone to damage, and easier to repair.
I use the extendable Husky a lot with a 12 inch bar. It's strong enough in the cut and has surprising torque. Big benefit over gas pole saws is that there is no shaft running down the length of the pole. So any occasional bend is just an annoyance for looks and balance but doesn't stop completion of a job. I bag my motors/engines with a soft cooler or something from a 2nd hand store to prevent premature wear.

Back