Need some evaluation help.

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, need some help evaluating this Ohio Buckeye tree that was struck by lightning. It has two visible horizontal cracks about 10ft and 15ft off the ground. The tree itself is near 80' tall and 36" DBH. Wondering how safe you think this tree is to climb off of, or at the very least, rig off of. Its near a house, so either rigging or cutting very small pieces will have to be done. Working on getting a full tree picture up soon. Until then, here are some photos of the crack.
photo.jpg 2photo.jpg 1photo.jpg

When was it struck, two years ago? I agree with Sean, no f-ing way would I ever climb that. I end up with trees like that all the time now that I have a bucket. The horizontal cracks show that it has lost most of its vertical integrity and is pretty much just balanced there. Have you ever made a snap cut on a vertical stem and then snapped it off? Your tree there already has a couple snap cuts in it (plus more that you cannot see under the loose bark).

Guying during removal could be a good idea. With a bucket, you can fly around and try to keep the weight somewhat balanced. A man-basket on a crane might be good. Keep above it and don't risk the tree failing onto the boom.

What would the damage be if it is pulled over, or broken?

I'm gonna say that you'd actually be all good up there (mind you--I sit here safe and sound behind the keyboard and I've got two pints of beer in me) , but here's the thing: I believe that those cracks merely indicate the contraction of the--now dead--wood that used to make up the cambium, and, as any idiot who can see that the tree is still standing will observe, that wood (the cracked stuff) no longer bears any of the real tension of the limb weight. In other words: the tension is all loaded up in other places.

I can't say--despite my beer--"I'd climb it!". Let's face it: I'm not standing there with too much coffee in me at 7:30 a.m. staring up at those cracks, but I wanna' say: if you started up the back side of that thing and removed a great deal of the weight over there first, you'd be all good.

Even with a bucket I'd be wary of that one. At 80' tall I would have to take a 20'-25' top and the side loads generated on the stem when the top goes over may be enough to snap it off at one of those lower cracks.

Adrian, there are plenty more trees out there to cut down, you may be OK climbing that tree but if not you are a long time dead.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope, I never planned on climbing it. Dad was thinking about it, but wanted to check it out in person first. Most likely we're going to get a bucket or crane if we do this.

I would not climb it, but I think unleashing a heard of rabid beavers on the stem would take care of it for you from a safe distance and would come in way cheaper than a bucket or a crane.

So, you were seeing where your dad might compare to the Treehousers when it comes to skill and daring? :/:

Something an old timer told me a long time ago- "There are old climbers and there are bold climbers but there aren't many old, bold climbers."

I'd look for an alterior TIP- maybe a highline between two other trees if available. If not, I'd go with TWO cranes. One for my TIP and one for rigging.

....but this is LA and people will do a lot to not let bad things happen on their property.

love
nick

I usually love doing big ugly horribly dead trees that scare other climbers, but I think I'd pass on that one.

What is in the other side of the tree (in the last pic.) Almost looks like the thing could be flopped. Block up the driveway that truck might be on and let 'er rip?

I wouldn't climb it from the looks of it, maybe just to do a more thorough inspection so I could demand a crane, but I wouldn't want to do any rigging in it.

For a lot of money, I'd climb it. I've done worse.

Easy to say when I'm sitting thousands of miles away in my comfy office :D

I wouldn't climb it, seeing cracks like those scare me. Take the advice of others and get a nice big bucket truck.

Back