The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

TINYHULK

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s what the one company made me feel he was wanting to do. That I would work with him next week and see if we moved forward from there

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is time.
I've heard it called 'the executive pause', take the information on board then give yourself time to digest it. Ruminating over a day or so allows you some perspective, and either consolidate your position and go for it, or come up with items to question or follow up on.

TINYHULK

Treehouser
Sounds great! The one company I talked to already said we would do some working interviews at $20 an hour. Pays his current climber $400 a day and would like to see me replace him at that rate. He mentioned a lot of the same things y’all have without me even mentioning. So can’t wait to give y’all an update for how next week goes

biggun

Monkey for Hire
400 usd a day a good money but dont spect that from day 1.

I would expect a 400usd a day climber on the book will be expected to be ‘a Don’.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, be honest about your abilities and sell yourself. But don’t BS.

Sound like a great opportunity though.

Good luck.

Last edited:

treebilly

Student of the Jedi
I found that the 8 tooth and 20” bar is dangerous. Now I want to get a mastermind build even more. The thing screams through the logs. Almost time to sharpen it up now. Get rid of that dull factory edge😄

And as everyone else has said, don’t over sell yourself to a potential employer. But also don’t settle. Use the working interviews to learn as much as you can from them whether you take the job or not.

Grnjp

Treehouser
I tend to laugh at the whole moonlighting thing. It's your knowledge. As long as you hussle your own work and don't steal work from me. Use your own equipment. And by that I mean I send you out under my name and you sell yourself while on my time. If your buddy's mom calls you and you want the job, it never went through me. Also don't limp into work and then pretend you got hurt on my time.

treesmith

Banned
I think the poaching is what makes an employer act the way TH’s now ex-boss acted. When I’m the sub, I’m the sub. Anyone coming up and asking for a card or a quote gets referred to whomever I’m working for. Several years ago, I was climbing for a guy in a nearby town. That evening, my phone rang. A guy in that neighborhood had gotten my number off my truck and wanted a quote on some work. I told him that job was someone else’s and he’d need to contact them and gave him the number. Texted to other guy to tell him he’d be getting a call. He never even thanked me. A year or so later, he was flashing a copy of my insurance around as his own. Then cut a tree one day (too cheap to call me in)….it didn’t hit his customer’s house…it hit the neighbor’s house… We no longer work together…

SkwerI

Treehouser
I think the poaching is what makes an employer act the way TH’s now ex-boss acted. When I’m the sub, I’m the sub. Anyone coming up and asking for a card or a quote gets referred to whomever I’m working for. Several years ago, I was climbing for a guy in a nearby town. That evening, my phone rang. A guy in that neighborhood had gotten my number off my truck and wanted a quote on some work. I told him that job was someone else’s and he’d need to contact them and gave him the number. Texted to other guy to tell him he’d be getting a call. He never even thanked me. A year or so later, he was flashing a copy of my insurance around as his own. Then cut a tree one day (too cheap to call me in)….it didn’t hit his customer’s house…it hit the neighbor’s house… We no longer work together…
This is the way honorable people do it. I also worked as a sub for most of my career. Everyone I worked for knew I would never take their leads. I was always kicking leads back to the guys I worked for, because I preferred working as a sub and had no interest in biting the hands that fed me. When you're honest then you assume others are honest as well. People who assume you are going to steal their clients are usually not honorable IMO.

Anyway, best of luck with your newest job tryout. Lots of awesome advice posted here from an awesome group of arborists. Every single person who has posted has your best interests in mind. There's a collective of hundreds of years of experience here, and some of them are pretty smart as well. :lol:

Grnjp

Treehouser
Yup. You are working for someone else. Don't sell yourself on their time. Work that on your own time. Build your own customer base. Again...on your own time. Someone comes to you on company time give them the company's number.

TINYHULK

Treehouser
I like it all guys thanks. Another question. If I started my own business and wanted to get my general liability insurance for climbing. Me being the only employee. What are some averages and recommendations?

Grnjp

Treehouser
Well you don't need worker comp. And you don't have to deal with osha. Still need insurance in case you drop a tree on a house or anything else! Lol

Tree09

Treehouser
Get a quote from an insurance agent and then go from there. 2 million coverage is i think what i got, and it's pretty reasonable, just a few bucks a day. Make sure you specify that you are doing residential tree removal and pruning, not landscaping. They have different rates obviously, and if you are only landscaping they likely won't cover you if somethings damaged.

SkwerI

Treehouser
I like it all guys thanks. Another question. If I started my own business and wanted to get my general liability insurance for climbing. Me being the only employee. What are some averages and recommendations?
You will need to find a good independent agent who specializes in small business liability insurance. you can expect to pay $1000-2000 per year minimum for business liability coverage.
But I recommend you focus on learning your trade and sharpening your skills before jumping out on your own. Willingness doesn't make up for lack of experience. You need to learn the trade by working with others who have more experience. You can't do that if you're working on your own.

ruel

TreeHouser
Im so glad to read your update. Hope your next place of employment is awesome.

I'll second what skwerl said. Get some time under your belt before going solo. The learning curve is pretty steep and you'll likely pick up good tricks working with others.

Wear a helmet and eye and ear protection religiously, and chainsaw chaps or pants when running saws on the ground. Don't let people tease you about it. Once you're more experienced you can make decisions for yourself, but stack the deck in your favor when learning.

pantheraba

More biners!!!
What Ruel said on the PPE. Folks that poo poo PPE...ignore them...idjits. It only takes a small piece of stuff (wood, chip from a saw chain, rock, whatever) to end an eye. Only a nick with a saw to a leg to end normal life. You need those ears working well, use PPE.

Folks that don't use eyes, ears and helmets are idjits. Don't let them influence your behaviors. You know best.

TINYHULK

Treehouser
My desire to start a business was never to go it on my own but mainly because of the desire to purchase a home in 1.5 years. If the work already being done by me for a friend/church member could then be claimed as profit then it would help in the long term with showing more profit and having more saved to buy a home at better rates.

Tree09

Treehouser
You can buy a home with no money but a job. Just go sign on the dotted line and start learning about debt and credit. If you wanna do this you will likely need to know and use it.

The Axe Brothers

Treehouser
So its nearing the time for me to get a bigger saw for some felling and bucking down spars. Right now my heart is with the ms462 with full wrap handle and 28in bar. Husky is almost all out of question for me due to there being absolutely no dealers in the saws above the 460 rancher. Im in southeast Virginia and there normally isn't a need for anything past a 28in bar and the trees that are could easily get cut from both sides. This would be my only saw other than my top handle (echo cs355t 16in bar, would have went stihl but 201tc issues scared me away). Was just looking at local sales and a guy is selling a used 461 for $600. So a used one for half the price of a new one with a bark box and the guy said it runs good. Haven't got ahold of him yet but would are calls thoughts?
Yes. 462 with 3/4 wrap handle is the nicest thing out there. With 28” Light it’s nice - but with 25” it’s Perfect.

Tree09

Treehouser
Lol that's my method of course Scott, but he's still likely gonna need to use credit in his life. Paying a mortgage rather than rent is about one of the best decisions a young person can make, gaining net worth rather than paying for someone else's. Especially if you buy one deeply discounted that you then fix yourself, and buy well within your means, you will do well. Better yet for now, if it's a possibility, live with your folks until you got a pile saved up. Live cheap while you can, once you add a wife and kids everything changes and you have to be set up by then. It's far easier to take risks and hustle when you don't have the responsibility of a family.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
The sooner you pay off a mortgage, the tremendously less you pay in interest.

You can make priciple-only payments on top of your INTERESt-principLE payment.

Mortgage insurance may be required unless you have 20% down. Extra money that you'd rather have going to PRINCIPLE.

treesmith

Banned
I never had a mortgage, aside from a single-payment note to pay off the old trailer we lived in when we got married. Paid what I could each year and refinanced for another year. Took five years I think to pay it off. Started saving hard in ‘94 toward a house. Started framing in Oct. ‘97. Moved in in Jan ‘02. Ran out of cash right at the end and had to put about $3k on my credit card for tubs, toilets, etc. Definitely not the fast track, but I’d do it all over again.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!