My fall

It only takes one asshole. Spent 3 years harassed by a neighbor taking pictures of my yard, wood piles, truck. I had given up on 3/4 of my yard. The guy eventually left.

there's always Conrad's in MT;)

There is no money up here but no one fuggs with you.

Damn sorry to hear your troubles Paul.

Sure sorry to be losing a fellow like yourself.

A guy up here was planning on retirement.

They all asked him if he was gonna leave this god forsaken place.

Hell no he says....I know who all the assholes are.

Would have to learn all over if he moved.

It only takes one asshole. Spent 3 years harassed by a neighbor taking pictures of my yard, wood piles, truck. I had given up on 3/4 of my yard. The guy eventually left.
Yeah I had the same with my neighbor. But now I have a properly zoned parcel. The best part is now I can turn my backyard into an absolute junk yard because it's all for personal use and the many 20' chainsaw carved illuminated hot pink penises are protected by my right of religious freedom. Did you know Hindus have a penis as a God? Neither did I until I went to India, crazy! Even better anything that offers any type of visual barrier is on my side of the property line and their kitchen overlooks it all. You can almost smell the two stroke smoke on the other side of the screen can't chya?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Costa Rica is looking pretty good to me. Was supposed to be down there next week with the family but Covid frigged that up
No Cory I don’t think our justice system is the best, if you have money here you are untouchable. Good friend of mine from way back drives a Porsche. He says he regularly passes cops doing 20+ above the speed limit but has never been pulled....... go figure

Costa Rica is looking pretty good to me. Was supposed to be down there next week with the family but Covid frigged that up
No Cory I don’t think our justice system is the best, if you have money here you are untouchable. Good friend of mine from way back drives a Porsche. He says he regularly passes cops doing 20+ above the speed limit but has never been pulled....... go figure
I've always wondered what the cops were like in VA, being so hilly it is most fuel efficient to push 65-70mph on the main roads, though I've never seen a speed limit sign on them, so it made me wonder. I did see a cop at the bottom of a hill hiding in a turn in some 2mi long park in Appomattox

Near as I can tell Paul, no matter what the country...if you have money, then you are untouchable. The amount needed to become untouchable varies from place to place.

If you don't have the scratch it takes to swing big balls in Costa Rica, you will get just as screwed as any other place.

I will accept that it takes far less imported US dollars to be untouchable in CR than it does here, or in many other places.

Hey Paul, I've been able to spend about two weeks each of the last 3 winters in CR doing treework (mostly trimming / felling cypress) at a little kids camp in San Jose de la Montagne (Heredia Province) about 40 minutes north of the airport. Good people. I think you would like living there. Driving in CR is not for the faint of heart...

How long was your rope Paul.

As I said, glad you are still around to tell the tale.

Good luck going forward with the sale and relocation. Family and health comes first.

Best wishes for your future, Paul. Not trying to be glib but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had a shit year. Went from a profitable, growing business to unemployed and broke in 18 months. Thankfully in my case it's just me with no family depending on me. I may not be around the forum any more but know that I've always respected and admired you from the first time we met testing out the Wraptors way back in the day. You've always been one of the good guys.

Thanks Brian
That was a good time wasn’t it, climbing that monster hickory that John/Nobivy found. Remember sneaking Rufus into the hotel...

It is hard for me to come to grips with all the crap that has befallen you, Paul. Just very sad to read.

I'm still not clear on exactly what happened to cause the fall. Were you on a doubled rope system that was terminated to the ring on your bridge and somehow that came untied?

Yes Dave, double rope with the end terminated through the ring on bridge with a double over hand stopper just like the dogbone on HH however I screwed up and tied the overhands before the ring instead of after so the load pulled the knot undone

Christmas, I'm obviously going through one of my stupid senior moments. How the hell do you use a stopper knot on a ring? Does it have a small hole like a rigging plate?

OK...that is how I visualized it, in the first pic. I couldn't get the idea on the mis-tie, but now see it. Thanks, Paul.

(non climber here) You don't rely on that stopper knot through the ring as your attachment point right? You just conveniently tie it through there to keep it tucked out of the way or something? From the beginning something didn't sound quite right or redundant enough, or were you at the end of your line and that was the last to go through the prusick?

Glad someone asked! I don't like the way either knot looks, but what do I know? :^D

Back