Multiple Friction Bodies for Rope Runner

pigwot

M's, Juniper's, Lowen’s, and Inge’s Grandpa
Brand new Rope Runner, never used, along with four different friction bodies: original flat, baby bump, baby bump with a small groove, and baby bump with a deeper, longer groove.

I sent all this to TreeCareLA so the gang there can try all four on different ropes and do up a video (please) about how it flies with the different bodies.

Largesse.jpg

Brand new Rope Runner, never used, along with four different friction bodies: original flat, baby bump, baby bump with a small groove, and baby bump with a deeper, longer groove.

I sent all this to TreeCareLA so the gang there can try all four on different ropes and do up a video (please) about how it flies with the different bodies.

View attachment 60773

If you don't mind my asking, how or where were you able to acquire the alternative friction bodies. Those are really nice options to have available in order to try to find a setup that works well on different ropes, etc.

I think most climbers would order all four of those friction bodies if they were easy to acquire. If they are not available from the original manufacturer, it would be nice if Mr. Bingham did not mind supporting the guys who are producing the alternative friction bodies, as a way of enhancing the experience of all the climbers that do choose to purchase his Rope Runner.

Of course, it would be best if this was done by Kevin himself, seeing as it is his invention in the first place.

Tim

If you don't mind my asking, how or where were you able to acquire the alternative friction bodies. Those are really nice options to have available in order to try to find a setup that works well on different ropes, etc.

I think most climbers would order all four of those friction bodies if they were easy to acquire. If they are not available from the original manufacturer, it would be nice if Mr. Bingham did not mind supporting the guys who are producing the alternative friction bodies, as a way of enhancing the experience of all the climbers that do choose to purchase his Rope Runner.

Of course, it would be best if this was done by Kevin himself, seeing as it is his invention in the first place.

Tim

We have a few different styles of bump out there to decide which one is best.. then we will make that one available for everyone as an option. out of all the body styles, I like the bumpless the best, but there are many who really benefit from a bump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tim B. - I have made a bunch of them. Both by taking the original flat and adding epoxied-on additions, and a couple I made with Kevin at a maker space in Detroit, and a few I purchased from the fellows in Wisconsin, who had a machine shop make up their 'baby-bump version.

As Kevin pointed out there is work going on to test the different shapes. I loaned my first three profiled friction bodies, along with two Rope Runners to a group of climbers in Southeast PA earlier. This batch went to LA to get some West Coast input (date palms!!) and once they are done I hope we'll have some great input and data (and videos).

Many climbers love the free-flowing nature of the original flat friction body due to no drag on the rope while tending. I prefer the small bump so far.

I can see a range of shapes suiting different styles of climbing and different ropes used.

Climb safely.

Back