Mulching your saws?

Nick, the only thing I would question is what do you do with that stuff when it comes time to change it?

My main storage is in the garage, I use cardboard and dispose of it in the wood burner.

Disposal would be a pain with chips if you couldnt burn them is my thoughts.

I just use my ex's clothes, she left a ton of them, great for shop rags too.... I have at least an 80 year supply..... she left when the credit card bills got too high, tried to stick them to me!

I use Pig may under a plastic draining material. Basically sections of milk crate. I change the mats quarterly.

The only thing I'd worry about is spontaneous combustion, I had it happen to me once in the garage. I'd used a rag to clean up a saw after I'd fueled and oiled it and left the rag on the ground. About two hours later it just went up in flames! I could see the wood chips doing this as well, just something to consider.

moisture retention and acid leachage (is that even a werd) from the chips may cause rustatation and could be a concern also.

The only thing I'd worry about is spontaneous combustion, I had it happen to me once in the garage. I'd used a rag to clean up a saw after I'd fueled and oiled it and left the rag on the ground. About two hours later it just went up in flames! I could see the wood chips doing this as well, just something to consider.

This was my first thought on the issue.

Tim

I made a thin wooden lattice to fit into the bottom of the toolbox & then tossed in a few handfuls of cat litter to soak up the excess. I'd not feel happy with the saws sat in oil & woodchip for a period of time

I use sawdust if the saw box is getting oily, not chips. Been doing it for years, never had it light up, once the oil is absorbed dung it out now and then and add fresh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I originally put shaving from the lathe (which is more like saw chips) but then I was on the jobsite yesterday and noticed how greasy it was in there so we swapped it out with what we had.

Yes it's an aluminum box. Haven't had issue with corrosion yet.

I like the lattice work idea.

We use the veggie based bar oil. I just chuck the oily chips in the truck with the rest of the chips and it gets dumped at the green waste place. No harm done.

love
nick

Back