MS201T top handle replacement

SkwerI

Treehouser
A buddy dropped his 201T and I agreed to replace the handle. I've done a dozen handle replacements on the 200T, which was challenging the first time but now it's no big deal. The 201 has a lot more moving pieces and I need some help with the placement/orientation of the throttle and choke rods. Does anyone have any pictures or illustrations of how the handle pieces are assembled?

There are some you tube videos on it, it yours a 201t or the electronic carb one? One guy says buy the whole top handle assembly as a like for like replacement complete with the wiring harness because the sensor wires in a 201tce can be damaged if you do it 'the old way' and it won't run properly after.

I just did my 150t this weekend, way easier, but had to strip it right back to get to some of the parts under the back area of the handle.
I got it all done then....uh oh...an extra screw was left over! Figured out where it had come from, where the curved handle slots into the top one, the screw goes in deep behind the on/off button and wires.
Someone said, take pictures as you go, that really did help so thanks to whoever said it!

The throttle linkage is the hardest part. It just barely slips into place, you might need hemostats to hook up the linkage, and it likes to fall back out of place, sometimes while fully assembled too. The in handle linkages also like to fall apart.
I remember linking what I could to the carb before sliding it in place, then I think the throttle was linked after the carb is in place. Something has to open the throttle while another tool puts the linkage in place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The throttle linkage is the hardest part. It just barely slips into place, you might need hemostats to hook up the linkage, and it likes to fall back out of place, sometimes while fully assembled too. The in handle linkages also like to fall apart.
I remember linking what I could to the carb before sliding it in place, then I think the throttle was linked after the carb is in place. Something has to open the throttle while another tool puts the linkage in place.
With the 200T I could slide the carb onto the two mounting studs part way, then line up[ the throttle linkage and slide it home. The 201T carb is held in place with 2 bolts. So I ended up using the 2 bolts to get it lined up so the throttle linkage wouldn't fall off as I slid it into place.

And yes, it was the electronic one. I just used a small screwdriver to carefully push the wires back into the little holding notches along the inside of the handle (very carefully cause the insulation wanted to tear).

An old friend of mine, a retired machinist, suggested a trick from his work to me when I was having some trouble re-assembling a four-direction toggle switch for my Jaguar's external rear view mirrors. Way too many fiddly little bits to hold at one time.

The trick was to use little dabs of Silly Putty to temporarily fix things in place, then use a skinny tipped tweezer to pull the Silly Putty dabs off when things were at least partially settled back into place.

It worked a treat, and mostly the dab of putty held to itself enough to come off cleanly in one piece.

Silly Putty - Wikipedia

With the 200T I could slide the carb onto the two mounting studs part way, then line up[ the throttle linkage and slide it home. The 201T carb is held in place with 2 bolts. So I ended up using the 2 bolts to get it lined up so the throttle linkage wouldn't fall off as I slid it into place.

And yes, it was the electronic one. I just used a small screwdriver to carefully push the wires back into the little holding notches along the inside of the handle (very carefully cause the insulation wanted to tear).
I think the trick is to have the grip all assembled, so the spring tension of the throttle trigger will help hold the linkage on the carb as you slide it in. I recently made a slight bend in the carb linkage on a friend's saw because it came out during use,

I've been inside that handle before for small issues, It was frightening to think of putting it all back together. And how they engineered it in the first place.

Did you get it done Brian?

This is my 150tc from last week. The main part of the top handle got cracked just in front of the carb housing. A friend plastic welded it twice and then it really broke...everything had to come off, carb, both handles, all the guts...even the white plastic top cover.
Tested and runs fine, a bit of proper work will be the final test though.
I'd hate to pay for the shop to do it, it's 160km round trip and 1 hr each way. 20221106_181330_HDR.jpg 20221106_181951_HDR.jpg the part only cost me $30

Back