Motorcycling.

Europe has amazing mountains... Are there many places to pull off and camp? Like dark scary dirt roads into the black forests filled with wolves...

Sure, but not in Schweiz.
There is, however a nice, cheap camp ground in the village of Andermatt.
Andermatt lies like the hub of an old vagon wheel, with 10 major passes as the spokes in the wheel.
From there one can drive Grimsel, Furka, Susten, Nufenen, Bernadino, Sct Gotthard, Val Tremola, Oberalp, Juliena and a bit further south, the iconic Stelvio.
My favourite is Furka pass. It is a classis " frig up and you are dead" drive.
I almost bought the farm there in 2013, probably the closest I've come in all my years on 2 wheels.
The road hugs the mountain side with blind curves and 100 feet drop offs 2 feet away and no guard rail.
To make it safer, the Swiss have put up a stone marker at the outer edge of the road every 30-40 feet.
To make it even safer, they have painted them red and white :D

The old Sankt Gotthard pass route called Val tremola is a fascinating drive, too.
Cobblestones galore.
I'd hate to drive it in rainy conditions, those stones get slick as hell.

Wow! Thank you for sharing.
That looks like an awful lot of commitment.
imagine that road in heavy rain...

the cobblestones must handle the best for longevity.

Jusg got back from Garberville Spa Enduro 400 miles of dirt bike.... I was lucky w a few blisters, cuts and bruises... only 1 flat tire... had to put a 21 in the 18 rear... all good.

Ukiah... to Cow mountain to upper lake to Deer valley to Lake pillsbury to top of hull mountain to Covelo to Zenia to Alderpoint to Garberville....

Day 2 Garberville to Bull Creek Redwoods to Honeydew to kings ridge horse mountain to usal road to usal beach then south to Ft Bragg Jenny's Giant Burger... to comptche to ukiah... (Optional route is Sherwood road to ukiah) I was beat and had a questionable rear tube so I went the road home....

:)

Last edited:
Gerr, you wouldn't like the way they drive in Italy. No exaggeration, there's basically no rules that are followed. Passing while going around sharp curves is completely normal, for example

Don't get me wrong. I like bikes. Rode them for years. Road bikes and bicycles. Never got into off road or scrambles. Even when I was younger that was too intense for my blood. But my friends ate it up.

Old putt putt.

I hear ya, different strokes and all that.

Of course when you mention 'too intense for my blood,' the natural rejoinder that comes to mind is '150' up and still 7' in diameter':O

I really didn’t focus on taking pictures.... so there’s no super wunders in there.

I watched a 4 wheel drive Audi sedan make it up half way then do a 3 point turn on the trail to head back down after finding it too difficult.

Sold my KLR (to & from work bike) a couple years ago and thought I was done with motorcycles.

When Covin-19 arrived and everyone was locked up in their basements, I figured I'd rather be wasting gas on a motorcycle than wasting time at home.

So last year I bought a 2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Friggen long name for a motorcycle ! lol

The bike had about 9000 miles on it when I bought it last May and it now has 16000 miles on it.

Never realized I put 7000 miles on it in just over a year !

It's a good bike for a cruiser but I'm thinking about contemplating the possibility of considering looking into maybe deciding to trying out a Harley !
lol

Stopped at Thunder Road Harley dealership today just to get it out of my system. But wouldn't ya know it, the sales guy talked me into a demo ride tomorrow !

Though I like the looks of the Street Glide, I much prefer the Road Glide Ultra (fixed fairing) while sitting on the bike.

So tomorrow after work, I'm gonna test drive a Road Glide with the stage two upgrade and pray I don't fall in love with it.

Looking forward to seeing how it handles on the highway, should be fun !

Last edited:
Just my opinion. Ignore the Harley. I think it would be smarter to look at anything from Italy or Germany...even Japan :|:...in that equitable product line, over the hugely overpriced and stupendously over-hyped American bike.

Last edited:
Well I can't say I fell in love with the bike I rode today but I will say I'm very smitten with it ! (price being a major factor).

I do agree with you guys about the over pricing because of the HD name !

Just can't see spending that kind of money on two wheels and a motor.

The sales guy took me out for a demo ride on the highway and this thing was night & day compared to my Yam-cruiser.

It was the Road Glide special 114 with the stage two conversion, and this upgrade made this thing crazy twitchy on the throttle.
Just thinking about it and you went faster !

I would prefer that it didn't have the stage-2 engine upgrade as a personal preference.
The stock engine configuration is more than enough for me !

With the tall-boy demo saddle & custom bars the guy installed/fitted for me, there wasn't much else I'd need to do except perhaps forward foot controls & a suspension adjustment.

Where my bike hums happily at 115 kms in 5th gear, this HD needs to be reined in in 4th gear at 115 kms.
There was little need for the 5th & 6th gear at that speed !

With the fixed frame mounted fairing & light handling, you don't even realize your going fast at all.

I was very impressed to say the least !!!

Get this, the price difference between the Road Glide Special VS the Road Glide Ultra is almost $5000 Canadian dollars. Yikes !!!

*** -( the difference between the two is just shy of what I paid for my used Yam-royal star tour deluxe last year. ) Crazy eh.

No way I'd buy brand new but I wouldn't be opposed to used, pending $$$... maybe ?

But in the mean time, Yamaha recently came out with a fully dressed touring bike, the "Trans Continental" (TC) for a heck of a lot less than a HD.

Will have to wait till this Covid crap is done with before looking into a demo ride on one of them.

Reason... most dealers are running very low on inventory and used bike are go out as fast as they come in !

Anyway, it was a lot of fun playing with a new HD Road Glide on the highway today !!!

Time well waisted IMO !

2018-Harley-Davidson-Road-Glide-Ultra3.jpg

Last edited:
Bodean, that's not a factory tank on your ktm, it's a guppy tank right? How many gallons vs stock?

What were the basics of your enduro rules? Avg speed timed sections with checkpoints? I think there's different sets of rules floating around through the years.

Hi Bart. My KTM 525 not pictured here though that is a 525 in the pic.. I had a 4.1 Clarke tank. The turn by turn is like juggling 4 balls. The mileage and speed and time…. Oh and the trail.
My Husky pictured above has a 3.7 acerbis tank.. bike got like 230 miles on a tank once…

here’s the boy w his XR100… first clutch bike.. he’s getting it.. Thankfully he’s not a Thrasher. SLO and Low Mellow Yellow is the boy. Which can be a good thing at times, I suppose. Which is nice. So we got that going for us. :) 461432F9-5C72-41E0-A65A-28709C4ADAF4.jpeg

Chest/back protector for the precious lad? Mount a water bottle and tube onto it, good habit for the lad - hydrate. My son's last bike was a KDX80. Vintage air cooled 2 smoke. Mellow power, trail geared and light.

Was the enduro light on arrowing and heavy on reading the route sheet? Hare scrambles are much simpler - just ride as fast as you feel and follow the arrows and course stewards.

One time I was in an enduro at my favourite forest and there was a tricky little jog from running some forest access road to a single track. So they posted a worker there holding a sign with more arrows pointing right turn. I'm tearing along, see this person and wonder what they want. When I get close enough to realize they're franticly gesturing to turn right I'm right on the turn. I didn't see the turn arrows because I was looking leftward at the worker! It was one of the most aggressive berm slam turns I ever did. Grab front, lock the rear, slide into the berm leaned over for the turn and slam back on the gas. It was kind of exhilarating and not my normal level of riding.

Here's a story for KLR650 guys. Imagine drifting the rear slightly under engine braking at about 40 mph in a left hand dry pavement sweeper and maintaining the drift transition onto full throttle mid turn. Let's just say I wasn't being very lawful in that instance. We all have our moments. Could've gone really wrong. Another day same bike when in my own mind I was Mr. mx I mx started into a sharp right from a stop sign on a cold day on cold tires, slightly lofted the wheel and simultaneously drifted/slid the rear around the turn before the front came back down. Yep, young and dumb. After I did it I couldn't believe it just happened. Edit - I think I was cooking the lh sweeper corner hotter, as I was racing a car side by side and 40 wouldn't drift. probably 50mph+ Young and dumb!

Last edited:
Hey Bart. Absolutely chest plate and the full Monty.... we were the only people around and he was doing 1st and 2nd gear start and stopping,,,, just clutching around. When he’s with other kids he’s got all his gear on. We brought frozen water bottles.. definetly need to monitor hydration in kids.

My buddy is a hare scrambler, just retired from dominating at 48 yo.
Much route sheet... seemed I was always jumping my vision from near to fa.

Everyone loves coming in WAY too hot into a corner, that’s what riding is.. the corners... straight always are for drag racers.
Bikes are magical, even better with engines bolted on to them.

Back