loblolly pine fat wood

Che

Treehouser
I was just reading an article of loblolly pine fat wood.

A few weeks ago, I bought some that was on clearance at a department store, wrapped up in a foo-foo burlap bag, original price $25/4lb. With discount coupons I got some for less than $4/bag. We've all had fun with it, really neat stuff....works great.

Does anyone here harvest it?

I always have some around the house, start my bbq, wood stove camp fires etc. Keep some in my hunting pack too

I found some in an old ( planted 1867) Pinus Nigra. I turned a few thin walled goblets from it, they were completely transparent.
Looked great when the sunlight shone through them.

I always keep a log on hand to shave off a few splinters for firestarters.

I used to buy a retail packaged product called Carolina Fatwood. It was little tinder bits of resin rich Pine, burnt hot and fast, wet or dry, great stuff. Probably the most expensive firewood pound for pound that I have ever been suckered in to buying! LOL
Fatwood.jpg

I was just reading an article of loblolly pine fat wood.

A few weeks ago, I bought some that was on clearance at a department store, wrapped up in a foo-foo burlap bag, original price $25/4lb. With discount coupons I got some for less than $4/bag. We've all had fun with it, really neat stuff....works great.

Does anyone here harvest it?

I don't harvest short of the removals I do but I can send as much as any one needs! Little goes a long way for sure, the best I have are old stumps pulled been thinking of trying to make some dynamite:biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
THIS is where the stuff I bought is from, according to the tag. I had to look it up on Wikipedia when I bought it. I had no idea what it was except that it supposedly starts fires quick and was REALLY expensive.

I've stored it in some buckets under the woodstove insert, I'm looking forward to using it.

Just go ring bark a few Loblolly pines, then wait about 60 years and fall them.

That is what the Norwegians did when they buildt their stave churches about year 8-900.

Most of those are still standing( except for the ones torched by satanists).

Resin filled pine lasts a Loooooooong time.
stavkirke.jpg

Stig, it is amazing that those places are still standing. Especially considering that all lighting was provided by open flame until the middle of the 20th century! :O

And considering how well resin filled wood burns.

I wish you could visit Norway and see them. I'm not much for churches, but those are wonderful.
A google search of Stavkyrkja will get you a bunch of different ones.

Ive used pitchy pine from stumps to make a natural wood preservative. I cant be bothered to type out the whole process when these wonderful videos of Ray Mears explain the process :)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UTPKTYqhQHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C421eCGFB74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That species of Pine can be used to make turpentine. Photo circa 1912.

Attachments

• 400px-PostcardTurpentineWorkers1912.jpg
    400px-PostcardTurpentineWorkers1912.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 32
Don't cook hotdogs over a fat lightard fire...I did once...ONLY once.

They looked very done...they were just very sooty. My kids were not very impressed.

what, the kids weren't pining for supper? I am surprised, the last thing I would expect is a smoke and mirrors show from you Gary, they must have been fuming.

Back