Johnny Pro Video

pigwot

M's, Juniper's, Lowen’s, and Inge’s Grandpa
I had read and watched this climber online and then I met Johnny Provenzale in person at the International Tree Climbing Championship in Tampa, Florida:
JohnnyProITCC.JPG
Very interesting and creative climber who is pushing the limits of the Rope Runner and finding new ways to use it. Here is a video of his use of two thinner lines at the same time through one Rope Runner (RR) and the possibilities for redirects and floating anchors. Though the pizza and beer theme of the video is a bit artsy, the true artistry is in his climbing and moving about trees. Video link below:

I had to watch it a couple times to see all of what he is capable of doing with two lines side-by-side in the RR.

DRRT Doubled Rope Runner Technique:
DRRT.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxj8vZMuP0k

Pigwot, thanks for this post. It's nice to know Johnny put this video back up for the rest of the arb community to see. Different sound track from the original. I think people (musicians) create music that has a "public license", if that is the correct term, that would allow him to have a great sound track and also avoid issues with original artists. If I were such an artist, I'd be tempted to leave JohnnyPro alone, though.

Thanks again.

Tim

What was wrong with the pizza Butch? Them boys look like they're from Chicago or somewhere. I think they take their pizza pretty seriously back there. You know... don't want to offend nobody.

Oh, come on, MAN! You can't see that from the computer! Looked glorious to me. Somebody's charging too much for his tree work, if that didn't look good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Provenzale Brothers are from Columbus, Ohio, and that pepperoni was just fuel for the editing after all that climbing/filming.
What is very interesting to me is in wide-crown trees having the ability to adjust your TIP position and thus redirecting, without having to get over to the redirect point. You see him doing this by shortening one rope and lengthening the other as they both run through a common carabiner and a single climbing device accessible right in front of you. It is nice to have that control.
I had an hour free yesterday and chose to get the granddaughter up in a tree.
Next free time I get out the 8.8mm Mammut line and try his two lines in one Rope Runner action.
Marlee up an oak in the side yard:
MarSmall.JPG

Make of it what you will.

The vid in the OP is a bit complicated to get your head round.

JP has done an explanation video. A lot of gesticulation, but good info all the same.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cp7eZDEKFOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty cool stuff, mind twister for sure! My only problem with the crazy redirects and systems, is it takes so much mental effort to get through a climb. I'd go crazy trying to keep all my little gimmicks in order, rather than focusing on the work at hand. Part of it is also focusing on a business doesn't allow for the continual focus on just climbing. Props to those guys though, certainly pushing the limits of innovation and where climbing is headed for the future!

That was verrrrrrry cool. Bro there lovvvvvvves climbing trees. Inspirational!8)

Somebody get him to join up here!!!!!

My rock climbing lead line is the serenity 8.7, has been for past three years. Super skinny, light, lots of impact/ stretch. 250 dollar rope. I ride a 70 meter. Add two, seems way high dollar-and stretchy. Why use it? Dudes at tree buss gave me shit for simul climbing on a 8.3..........but now it's hip.

Interesting set up

Seems like the ropes will be doing a lot of rubbing together at the RR, not something I'd be using but very cool concept none the less and tucked away in the tool box for one day.....when I might get a RR.......

Seems like the ropes will be doing a lot of rubbing together at the RR, not something I'd be using but very cool concept none the less and tucked away in the tool box for one day.....when I might get a RR.......

Peter, as the lines are static, there should be little or no movement relative to each other

Nice to see someone with passion.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Randy "Macho-Man" Savage Safety shades? Seriously, I want some. Google let me down.

Back