Jed Walters

Most "accidents" come from a lack of competence, or generally avoidable human error. You can do everything right in treework, and still have bad things happen.
Exactly right on both counts. Since its unlikely his accident was part of the former rule, perhaps he fell victim to the latter.

Just heard the news, so sorry to hear that, I really respected him as a man and tree guy.
My Sincere Condolences to his family and friends.

Jake did a lovely vid too, thanks Jake.

Just put up a notice on AS, and a link to the go fund me page, let me know if thats not ok.

Last edited:
I just found out about Jed this morning. He's been an online friend of mine for so, so many years. I can't even begin to say how much this upsets me. My thoughts are with his family.

I have to leave for work in a few minutes, but to be honest with you guys, climbing and cutting today is the last thing that I want to do.

It is pretty darn cool that the tech of this day and age combined with Jake's talent and compassion yields such a fine, vivid, insightful tribute to the man's life, or at least his tree life. I think it kind of helps those of us who knew him pretty well yet hadn't met him in person, to somehow further appreciate him and perhaps put some perspective to this tragedy.

As Jake stated in the video about how storm damage can be complex, the fact that all of them missed seeing the broken-off section lodged in the debris aloft is such a constant nightmare-waiting-to-happen; that sword of Damocles that hangs over each one of us by a human hair, waiting to fall.

Y’all be careful out there 😞

Yes sir. The explicit explanation of the accident I found somewhat freeing.

Jed was truly a bright shining light in a dark world, such a great heart in such a genuine person with a faith in God that guided him in life!

Back in the day we would text and talk on the phone every week or so, I really enjoyed our conversations about faith, life and tree work, it always made my week talking to such a humble caring man!

He will be dearly missed...until we meet again brother Jed!

I scared the shit out of my logging crew this morning.

Told them what happened to Jed.
Since I've shared some of his videos with them, they felt a , for lack of a better word: kinship with him.
Knowing that someone as good and careful as him got killed, not by carelessnes or stupidity, but simply because shit happens in this job is plenty scary.

They were a pretty quit bunch, when they headed out to the site.

As for myself, I haven't been able to get it out of my head, since I first read about him.
Been thinking about all the near misses I've had, where luck and only luck was the deciding factor.

I am surely not the only one here, who is affected that way.

The go-fund-me is getting on in a fine way.
Best thing we can do right now.

As Jake stated in the video about how storm damage can be complex, the fact that all of them missed seeing the broken-off section lodged in the debris aloft is such a constant nightmare-waiting-to-happen; that sword of Damocles that hangs over each one of us by a human hair, waiting to fall.

Y’all be careful out there 😞
Beautifully written. I’ve been freaked thinking that none of them saw the hanger, and it apparently fell just through saw vibrations. Really hits hard yet we never met or talked.

This comes on the tail of too many other deaths too close together and too close to me. Randy, Bob (metaltwister), Jennifer...just put some tires I got from willyswanter's friends after he passed away on my truck.

I echo all the others have said. Looked up to him, hits hard, dreamed of getting to meet him some day when visiting the PNW where I'm from.

Never got to post and let him know I got a round bubble level like him to keep my cuts level since my eye isn't as good as @Burnham's . I had the idea to put one on a magnet and stick it to the bar and then saw Jed epoxied his to the saw.

It seems unfair that so many of the greats that make the world a better place die young.

Godspeed.

Back