Introducing...

Kestersonian

TreeHouser
Hey folks. Let's make it official.

My name is Ian. 31. I live in Oakland. I've been working professionally since right after high school, coming on 13 years now. I feel I'm at the point in my career where I've gone from knowing nothing, to knowing everything, and now I know just enough to realize each day that I have no idea how trees really work (as much as I wish I did). That keeps me excited to come to work. Ran a mid sized residential/small commercial company for a while in San Diego, now I do municipal Arborist work. Very different. You look at everything with "10-50 years in the future" goggles on. Pretty fun, too. Lots of big park trees to climb and midnight emergency calls to keep things exciting. I think we use the last pager in existence.

I also enjoy competing (and don't take it too serious), but don't like that I can't use my rope wrench kit yet. In addition to after hours rec climbs, if anybody out there would like to surf in Northern California or climb in the Sierra, I believe some fun could be had.

Cheers, Ian

Cool.

Welcome to The Treehouse.

I surfed for a few years of my life on our horribly cold coast, I was never any good at it, but I learned to get up and doofus around a bit before I gave up the coastal life.

Trees make for a good life. Sounds like you've got a great job, up here municipal equals decent pay and outstanding benefits.

Justin

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Ian! :beer:

Oakland, eh? Has it changed much since the 70's? That's the last time I was there, being discharged at Treasure Island.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I've only been here for two years. There are parts I wouldn't even drive through. But we're in North Oakland, which is basically Berkeley, a nice little college town full of tree loving old hippies. That said, it's not too bad. Lot's of trees. A great community of solid arborists and tree climbers and plenty to do.

welcome to the treehouse Ian! this is Jaime. good to see you on here. some really good people on here, and few/no pissing contests!

Unless I was in it!
michae10.gif

Excellent intro, Ian. I like your realization that there is still much to be learned...and your willingness to go there.

Glad to see you here.

What's Happening, Ian?

Welcome to the TH. :)

I live right over the bridge in SF, I've been arboring for about the same amount of time...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heya Bodean! A group and I meetup once in a while to fun/practice climb cool trees now and then. Share techniques and whatnot. I'll keep you posted for the next one.

Back